🐈
» Forums » Clients » I was wrong to pay a user, how do I cancel th...
Page options
3012183f
Community Member

I was wrong to pay a user, how do I cancel the payment?

I had to pay for a new copy and instead I paid for an old one and if I go inside I see the message

This post is closed and is no longer accepting proposals.

How do I cancel the order? And do I take back the money I paid with payapal?

thanks a lot

stefano

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Stefano:

You can let him keep that $90, and instead do what Valeria mentioned:

"If you're referring to the offer, you can click Withdraw Offer here and the money will be refunded to you."

If you released $90 to the freelancer and then sent an offer for $90 to the same freelancer... Then you can simply withdraw the offer of another $90.

And the freelancer will have a net earning of $90.

If you use the Withdraw Offer button, then you don't need to have the freelancer agree to a refund.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
prestonhunter
Community Member

How much did you pay?

90$

if I can't take them back and maybe I can take them back and use it to pay for a copy it's okay, explain how to do it

Stefano:

I'm sorry if some kind of mistake was made.

Obviously, the simplest thing to do is to do nothing, and just ignore this.

If you don't want to do that, then the next simplest thing to do is to contact the freelancer that you paid money to, explain the mistake, and ask that person to use the freelancer-side interface to issue a refund.

But I want to be honest with you:

You are using some phrases that are NOT commonly used on Upwork, and it is NOT clear what you are talking about.

On Upwork, we do not normally say that we "pay a user."

We do not "pay for a new copy" or "pay for a copy."

I'm assuming that you are a client and you paid money to a freelancer, but you think some kind of mistake was made, and you would like to get the money back. But I might be completely wrong about that.

Maybe you can explain what your question or issue is, but use different words in order to make it easier for me to understand.

can't I block it?

re: "can't I block it?"

There is no button within your Upwork interface that can be used to block it.

The first thing you should do is describe your situation in more detail so that we can understand it. Then we can help provide you with the proper help.

petra_r
Community Member

Stefano, did you just send an OFFER and it placed the money in escrow, but the offer has not yet been accepted? In that case you may be able to just withdraw the offer.

What did you pay for and how?

3012183f
Community Member

I had to pay a copy but I confused and I paid another and now I had to pay what I had to pay regularly, so that money that as Petra says I should cancel the offer but I don't know how to do it and I have already received the notification of payment

Hi Stefano,

I see you released $90 from Escrow on one contract and recently sent an offer for the same amount to another freelancer. If you're referring to the money you released from Escrow, you'll need to request the freelancer to refund it. If you're referring to the offer, you can click Withdraw Offer here and the money will be refunded to you. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Keep in mind that if the freelancer agrees to refund money to you, the money will be back in your PayPal account within 5 business days.

If you initiate a refund for the money from the contract that hasn't been accepted yet, the money will be back in your PayPal account within 5 business days.

so I have to wait for him to make the refund and if he doesn't want to do it I lost the money, right?

Stefano:

You can let him keep that $90, and instead do what Valeria mentioned:

"If you're referring to the offer, you can click Withdraw Offer here and the money will be refunded to you."

If you released $90 to the freelancer and then sent an offer for $90 to the same freelancer... Then you can simply withdraw the offer of another $90.

And the freelancer will have a net earning of $90.

If you use the Withdraw Offer button, then you don't need to have the freelancer agree to a refund.

Stefano,

Could you please click on my name next to this post, then click Message and send me a private message with the name of the freelancer you want to pay and the name of the freelancer that you didn't mean to pay?

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths