🐈
» Forums » Clients » Incorrect work and manual time
Page options
Community Member

Incorrect work and manual time

Hello, 

I am not sure how to approach this. Simply the freelancer did not do the work that was required and did something else entirely. I cannot use more than a small amount of the work delivered. It is on manual time also. They agreed to make the changes, however, their reply indicated they acted in knowledge of the task when clearly it was instructed throughout our messages what was required. They have since continued to add manual time to make the changes.

Can I/how can I get a refund for the time that was spent on the unusable work?

This follows a recent bad experience with a freelancer that did tried to convince me they did the work that was contracted when clearly it was not the case, and was hostile in negotiating any changes, agreeing to a refund, then, finally disputing the refund request...

So I am reaching out here first for advice

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

If a freelancer used manual time, then you can dispute that time and not pay for it.

You don't need to have a reason. You don't need to explain yourself. It is that simple.

During the five day review period after a week ends, simply dispute any manually logged time segments, and you won't need to pay for them.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

If a freelancer used manual time, then you can dispute that time and not pay for it.

You don't need to have a reason. You don't need to explain yourself. It is that simple.

During the five day review period after a week ends, simply dispute any manually logged time segments, and you won't need to pay for them.

Preston H wrote:

.... then you can dispute that time and not pay for it.

.... you won't need to pay for them.

Jacob will have to pay for it, but will get a refund. It isn't even possible to dispute until after payment has been made.

Preston H wrote:

He does have to give a reason and willhave to explain why he is asking for a refund, but yes, the decision will be in his favour.

hello sir i added manual time by client permission .

client also agree there is no problem at but now it aumtacally refucnded to cleint when i ask client he say he hasnt done anything , even he is happy with my work .

now upwork email came 

below is email

"

**Edited for Community Guidelines** 

Harshadbhai G wrote:

hello sir i added manual time by client permission .

client also agree there is no problem at but now it aumtacally refucnded to cleint when i ask client he say he hasnt done anything , even he is happy with my work .

As it says in the email: The client failed to pay for your hours.  

It's a bit weird to call it a refund, it idn't really a refund because nothing was ever paid to be refunded.

Because you used manualy time, Upwork haven't paid you out of their own pocket as they would have done had you properly tracked your time using the tracker.

Your client needs to sort out their payment method, then they can pay you the money they failed to pay for your hours as a bonus payment

so simply tell me mam ,

if client agree for manually time and i enentered manually time , without  detailing much about memo or in work dairy is it ok?

if cleint refused my hour or my work its obvious i cant claim because this not included in hour rotection policy.

but here is not that case my client even didnt know about this as he is on vacation. he already told me he hasnt any problem about my hour

Harshadbhai G wrote:

so simply tell me mam ,

if client agree for manually time and i enentered manually time , without  detailing much about memo or in work dairy is it ok?

It's OK if your client pays for your hours. Your client did **NOT** pay for your hours. Upwork have a very good protection policy, PROVIDED your time has been logged according to the terms of that protection. EVERY time you add manual time you are told clearly that manual time is NOT protected.

Harshadbhai G wrote:

if cleint refused my hour or my work its obvious i cant claim because this not included in hour rotection policy.

and when your client doesn't pay.

Harshadbhai G wrote:

my client even didnt know about this as he is on vacation. he already told me he hasnt any problem about my hour

Then why doesn't he simply pay you?

He "didn't know about it"? He'll have had a whole bunch of emails about the failed payments. It didn't just fail once, it failed several times. Then his Upwork account will have been suspended. 

It's your client who has caused this by not paying. If the client is clearly capable of communicating with you somehow, he is also capable of sorting out his non-payment of your hours. This is your client's doing, not Upwork's. Upwork just don't bail you out by paying you out of their own pocket because your hours don't comply with the terms of the protection. That was your decision, and a risk you take every time you use manual time. You are also warned about it every single time you add manual time. You really can't say that nobody warned you...

ok so if clinet sort out payment issue then this hour show in my profile?

Harshadbhai G wrote:

ok so if clinet sort out payment issue then this hour show in my profile?

No, the client would have to pay you via a bonus.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Also, pause the contract or at least turn off manual time in the contract so you can see what he's doing. If he's farming it out he won't be able to track time on it.

If you know that you are not interested in working with this freelancer, you can simply close the contract immediately. No need to pause the contract.

As a client, you have options:

You may leave the contract open, and contnue to communicate with the freelancer. You may ask the freelancer to make changes. You could provide the freelancer with mentoring so that he can perform these tasks as expected. You may even ask the freelancer to refund money to you.

Asking a freelancer to directly refund money to you would achieve the same result as disputing his hours. And asking a freelancer to willingly refund money to you is a way to get money back for work done PRIOR to the previous week.

Or you may simply close the contract and end things quickly and cleanly. You even have the option to block the freelancer and avoid receiving complaints or questions from him.

There is a whole spectrum available to you - from nurturing to cold - all of which is permissible.

Thanks. I find that because I usually approach the interaction quite cordially, I assume the freelancer will the same. However, the range of professionalism and quality/consideration present in the freelancers here varies wildly.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths