🐈
» Forums » Clients » Interface switches to mobile view on zoom
Page options
hodgesh
Community Member

Interface switches to mobile view on zoom

The interface of both this community and the main Upwork site switches to mobile view when I zoom in. I don't want to see mobile view because I use either a laptop or desktop to view the site. With mobile view, lots of content is pushed off the screen and navigation becomes difficult.

Please fix this Upwork.

3 REPLIES 3
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Heaven,

Upwork is a responsive site and this is how it works by design for all responsive sites. Zooming in modifies the window width and the layout is based on the window width. Smaller width means mobile experience is shown. 

I'm sorry you find it inconvenient. You can try this workaround our developers shared for Chrome:

- Open chrome devtools
- Switch to mobile mode
- Find viewport meta in Elements tab, and change initial-scale=1 to a larger value

~ Valeria
Upwork

Was my thread moved? I thought I had posted this in the Freelancers' sub-forum.

I realize you probably don't know the technical details, and I don't know much about web development, but I thought it was possible to deliver different site views according to information from the browser user agent. Other responsive websites don't switch to mobile view when I zoom into the content from a desktop computer. This might be something to share with the Upwork site developers. Since Upwork has mobile apps, I don't see why the site needs to switch to mobile view for everyone on every device—that behavior could be isolated to the apps.

Heaven H wrote:

I thought it was possible to deliver different site views according to information from the browser user agent. 

It's poor coding. A reactive web interface should not switch to mobile when viewed on a computer screen because as you wrote, they can discriminate by using the browser user agent.

But then, when you look at the HTML/CSS code delivered by Upwork it makes you understand things.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Latest Articles
Learning Paths