cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interviews Aren't Working Right

Elizabeth D Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
1 of 12

When I get proposals from freelacners I've invited to interview for my job they aren't answering the supplemental quesitons I wrote for the job application. How come? It seems like they don't get these questions as part of the interview process which is annoying because then I have to send a followup message asking them to answer questions that should have been answered in the first place. Am I the only one having this problem or is this just the way that interviews are set up? If it's just the way they're  set up, why?  What is the point of having thhose questions if they're not being used?

Community Guru
MD Shahadat H Member Since: Dec 7, 2015
2 of 12

Firstly,

I am sorry that you have faced this type situation. But the Hard truth is that It is very Normal incidence here. May be it could be solved if Upwork Make it compulsory to submit a proposal someone have to answer all the question which are setted by the client.

Upwork can make this type of rule but how can Upwork will ensure that the freelancers answering properly? If they write A B C D in answer box then making compulsory answering the question is meaningless.

I think who wants to have the job, who has the good skill He will sumbit a proposal properly. ( but there could be different also, with good skill & hungry for a Job can make this type of mistake to bid first!) I don't know what should be the resolution of your problem. I am just writing to let you know it's really common matter here.(I think)

Ace Contributor
Sadia A Member Since: Dec 27, 2014
3 of 12

Elizabeth, when we freelancers receive job invitation we only see the job description. The additional questions don't appear in the job invitation. They can only be seen in the original job post.  I too had a similar experience like yours. I didn't answer a single question my client had because they didn't appear in the job invitation. I hope Upwork fix this issue soon.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
4 of 12

People you invite to your job won't see those questions. I have no idea why it is set up that way.

People you invite also can't add attachments to their acceptance of your interview.

The only way around it is to ask those questions in the message you send to freelancers inviting them to your job.

Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
5 of 12

@David G wrote:

People you invite to your job won't see those questions. I have no idea why it is set up that way.

People you invite also can't add attachments to their acceptance of your interview.

The only way around it is to ask those questions in the message you send to freelancers inviting them to your job.

Hi David,

Don't you see the questions when checking the job description?

http://screencast.com/t/FN9ymYOxSf4i

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
6 of 12

@Natasha R wrote:

Hi David,

The job description is actually part of the invitation and the questions don't show up there. I usually just read the job description to see if it's a fit for my skills.

The only way to see the questions is to go to the job posting but you can't answer them there unless you re-write the questions and answer them in your cover letter.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 12

@David G wrote:

@Natasha R wrote:

Hi David,

The job description is actually part of the invitation and the questions don't show up there. I usually just read the job description to see if it's a fit for my skills.

The only way to see the questions is to go to the job posting but you can't answer them there unless you re-write the questions and answer them in your cover letter.

Yes, that's right. You only see the questions if you send a proposal, not if you have been invited (although one does see them if one trawls all the way back to the very original posting). I have always assumed if I am invited to a job and accept an interview that the necessity for answering those questions falls away. And I sincerely hope that Upwork does not implement this excessively irritating feature for invitations, as very often the questions are  unanswerable because job descriptions are so limited.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
8 of 12

What Nichola said.

I have accepted invites for jobs I would never have applied to because of the mostly boilerplate questions, which I didn't have to answer because of the invite.

And I mean no offence to the OP, as she seems to have written her own specific questions.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
9 of 12

Brava @ Nichola for all the reasons stated.

As far as the matter of questions: I've actually seen questions as to 'your favorite color' and 'how many children do you have'.  No one needs this type of info. 

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
10 of 12

@Wendy C wrote:

@Brava @ Nichola for all the reasons stated.

As far as the matter of questions: I've actually seen questions as to 'your favorite color' and 'how many children do you have'.  No one needs this type of info. 

They are asking those questions to try and avoid the spammers and robots.

I won't even apply to a job that asks silly questions, including Upworks "canned" questions.

To me it simply says an inexperienced client, and I only work now with professional clients.

I just don't have the connects or time to waste on people who tell me to write "purple plum" at the top of my application. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS