Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Invited Freelancers

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 24

 Well I agree  in principle - but who is Ganz and who is Sheri (as in the I, personally)? 

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
12 of 24

Nichola L wrote:

 Well I agree  in principle - but who is Ganz and who is Sheri (as in the I, personally)? 


Sheri is a person who previously had good experience hiring on UW. She convinced her current boss to use it and I assume that account name is Ganz. She didn't know about the new policy of limiting free invitations.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
13 of 24

Upwork implemented this so clients buy plans or options, period. It doesn't matter what people say. It never matters.

 

 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
This widget could not be displayed.
14 of 24
This widget could not be displayed.

Clients that want it for free and treat FLs like they're free - I'm happy to see those people go. 

What will be left? Top Rated FL's and only their repeat clients?

 

Making popcorn and sitting back to watch it play out. 

 

 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 24

Real world reality check:

 

I know that not every invite that every freelancer receives is welcome to them. I have seen the complaints.


But I like the invites.

MOST of the invites I receive are from real clients, for real jobs, which match my skill set and interest, and are from clients ready and willing to pay my posted rate.

 

Invites are a great thing, and I don't think it helps me (as a freelancer) to have a such a strict restriction on the number of invites.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
16 of 24

Cairenn R wrote:

Clients that want it for free and treat FLs like they're free - I'm happy to see those people go. 

What will be left? Top Rated FL's and only their repeat clients?

 

Making popcorn and sitting back to watch it play out. 

 

 


I'm  a fan of charging for connects but I think it's a bad idea to limit clients to three invitations unless they pay. My best clients--most professional, most loyal, most profitable for me and for UW--have been first-time and/or occasional UW users. Making those folks feel nickel-and-dimed is counterproductive. A tiered subscription makes sense when the entry-level option is at least minimally worthwhile. A maximum of three invitations does not meet that standard, for many clients and many projects.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
17 of 24

Phyllis wrote and I concur >

 

"I'm a fan of charging for connects but I think it's a bad idea to limit clients to three invitations unless they pay. My best clients--most professional, most loyal, most profitable for me and for UW--have been first-time and/or occasional UW users. Making those folks feel nickel-and-dimed is counterproductive. A tiered subscription makes sense when the entry-level option is at least minimally worthwhile. A maximum of three invitations does not meet that standard, for many clients and many projects."

 

 

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
18 of 24

Wendy C wrote:

Phyllis wrote and I concur >

 

"I'm a fan of charging for connects but I think it's a bad idea to limit clients to three invitations unless they pay. My best clients--most professional, most loyal, most profitable for me and for UW--have been first-time and/or occasional UW users. Making those folks feel nickel-and-dimed is counterproductive. A tiered subscription makes sense when the entry-level option is at least minimally worthwhile. A maximum of three invitations does not meet that standard, for many clients and many projects."

 

 


Concur x 2

Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
19 of 24

Phyllis G wrote:

Cairenn R wrote:

Clients that want it for free and treat FLs like they're free - I'm happy to see those people go. 

What will be left? Top Rated FL's and only their repeat clients?

 

Making popcorn and sitting back to watch it play out. 

 

 


I'm  a fan of charging for connects but I think it's a bad idea to limit clients to three invitations unless they pay. My best clients--most professional, most loyal, most profitable for me and for UW--have been first-time and/or occasional UW users. Making those folks feel nickel-and-dimed is counterproductive. A tiered subscription makes sense when the entry-level option is at least minimally worthwhile. A maximum of three invitations does not meet that standard, for many clients and many projects.


I agree, invites generally lead to my best jobs. I hope part of the thinking behind this revised approach is to limit clients who send like 50+ invites. 

 

I wonder if there is a way to manage the number of "active" invites per job. So let's say a client can reach out to 5 FL for the first round. If they are selective and only invite FL who have a less than 24 reponse rate, they have the opportunity to send out additional invites if they have FLs decline.   

 

I want clients to have an effective way to reach out to FLs and I don't think charging for invites is the best approach, however I'm not inclined to respond to a client who has a high level of invites for a job pending.

 

Regardless, in the scheme of things these costs are nickels and dimes when compared with the costs of having a full time employee, there is no doubt Upwork provides a very cost effective way for businesses to outsource work. 

Community Leader
Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
20 of 24

Invitations are not mandatory. A well-written job post will make freelancers submit proposals on their own. Actively inviting users to a job is meant for urgent situations only, when time is critical. Abusing this would defeat its purpose.


Three invitations are more than enough to test the feature and determine if buying the extra credits it's worth it when the urgent situation arises.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS