cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invites Being Sent from my Account without my Knowledge or Authorisation

ed4c4507
Kevin L Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
1 of 9

Has anyone else experienced this? I posted a job and all of sudden I see that invites were being sent out from my account without my knowledge or authorisation. I consider this a complete breach of trust by Upwork to manipulate my account and the way I manage my job postings without my knowledge. I'm interested if anyone else has had this issue and what they were able to do about it.

marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
2 of 9
When you post a job, Upwork brings up a list of recommended freelancers (using a crazy algorithm that chooses freelancers who often aren't remotely qualified.) I think it is relatively easy to click the "Invite All" button accidentally.
ed4c4507
3 of 9

I thought someone might say this. So specifically there was an invite sent out an hour before I logged onto my computer yesterday morning. No, I didn't accidentally hit 'Invite All'. And I do agree, the algo that picks the freelancers needs quite a bit of tweaking...

marciamalory
Community Guru
4 of 9
OK, never mind then.
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 9

Hi Kevin,

I am sorry about the confusion. However, the only way for Upwork to send invitations on client's behalf is when the client requests assistance from Upwork's recruiting services. In those cases a name of Upwork representative will appear under the invitation message. I checked invitations sent from your account and they have your name.

~ Valeria
Upwork
ed4c4507
6 of 9

I understand that is your perception then how is it that I have a response to a message that I did not send, and there is now no record of this message being sent? If you look at my account you'll see one message was sent to a contractor, which I attest to not sending, and I have an email response from a different person and there is no record of me sending this message. I should add that this second message was sent an hour before I logged on to my PC on Friday morning. My PC is either being hijacked (unlikely) or something  else is going on.

My summary screen for the job posting also changed from 'X no. of Invitations Sent' to 'X no. of Invitations Pending' after I lodged a second complaint. I'm sorry but I just don't accept Upwork's response to this and I have lost trust with your platform.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 9

After reading this thread and the one with the screamer with malware spamming the forum, I feel bad for CS.

ed4c4507
8 of 9

Well that's a bit of a non sequitur. Not that useful either Jennifer.

Moving on - let's assume that for some reason, that after looking through the (generally not very good) suggestions for candidates, I actually did hit 'Invite All', firstly from a UX/UI perspective this should have a 'Confirm' dialog to ensure that the user actually intends to invite them all. Secondly, a recall invite would be useful also.

And if it is easy to accidently hit the 'Invite All' button, then this is a interface design issue as I did not want to invite any of the applicants that the Upwork algo had suggested. Either way, this experience hasn't endeared me to use Upwork for additional contractors going forward.

marciamalory
Community Guru
9 of 9
I agree that the "Invite All" button should have a confirmation step.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS