Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

** Is A Fake Freelancer Account

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
11 of 16

@Karl

“I am guilty of trust this is absolutely correct as well as guilty of placing trust on a platform but surely when we have no trust we are lost.”

Yes, trust must kick in sooner or later, or we are lost.

But no system is foolproof. A con man is called thus precisely because he preys on trust.

Yours is an unfortunate experience, but if it is any comfort, we freelancers get taken for a ride, too.

I hope that this unfortunate incident will not destroy your trust in the system.

"Certa bonum certamen"
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
12 of 16

You keep talking about this "$3000 project cap" but also saying that you hired this freelancer for an hourly contract, not a fixed price contract. As far as I know, there's no way to set a price cap on an hourly project? You can limit the number of hours a freelancer can bill during the week, but you can't limit the end cost, as far as I know.

Anyway, it seems like others have provided you with valuable advice. For a large project it's always wise to start with a small trial and to closely monitor the initial work.

Karl H Member Since: Jun 6, 2016
13 of 16

Hi Jennifer,

actually we agreed on the sum because "Mateo" meant that the budget was not enough for iOS and Android development. Without going into detail using a specific reference case which he has in his profile he explained how the foundation of our project was already in place due to the similarities but that parallel development required more funding. So we agreed to increase the budget. Again everything appeared extremely genuine. And actually what the individual has done was extremely clever because rather than simply logging all hours in one block, the hours were logged over time until the budget was reached. If the individual had invoiced more then of course I would have reacted straight away from the payment receipts. Instead it went some days before I noticed suddenly I was unable to communicate with him on Skype and that was when I began to wonder what is going on?

In all hoensty Jennifer, at that point I still did not believe anything was wrong, as I say I know I have been guilty of trust here and I cannot deny that, because I also kept trying to reconnect believing he must have blocked me by mistake. After all the dialogue and daily discussions I believed this was a real individual. I even planned a trip down to meet with him to discuss future collaboration that is how far the dialogue was. But it was only when my partner said, listen, this all looks very suspicious and began to review it objectively that it became clear what has happened.

As I say, very saddened by this whole affair. But again, as with Preston and Gabriel, you are right. I placed my trust in the system, the references, the "rising star", the "money back guarantee", all the discussions and the human aspect of the project. And although there are no written rules to client / freelancer relations in larger projects, it is perhaps of benefit to both parties to engage in smaller more controlled trials.

Thank you for tkaing the time and effort for writing.

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 16

Hi Karl, my point is that, for an hourly contract, you can't actually go "okay this is the limit of our budget" using the Upwork system. You may have an agreement with the freelancer that that is the limit, but unless you limit their hours per week and closely monitor that (and pause the contract if the hours they have billed is getting too high), you can't control your budget in this way. If you have a genuine fixed budget, it's probably better to use a fixed-price contract next time. Good luck for your future projects!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 16

Hi Karl,

I am sorry you had a negative experience with a freelancer on Upwork. I see that you already submitted a ticket about it as well. I will follow up with the team and make sure the freelancer's account is reviewed. Note, however, that sharing private information and names in accusation of misconduct is not allowed in the Community. Therefore, the team will assist you directly via the ticket.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Karl H Member Since: Jun 6, 2016
16 of 16

Hi Valeria,

apologies I did not know this.

I wanted merely to placed a warning and alert to other potential clients which is why I wrote in this section, in the event that the individual was perhaps now targetting or canvasing other potential victims. I thought that this was at the very least what I could do to contribute.

I did not expect such response, so in many ways, I see that only as positive that the community are themselves so engaged.

I will refrain from further comment and trust you can appreciate the situation and my intention to merely prevent another from succoming to the same position.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS