archdigitals

Is Dispute process intentionally designed to be endless and infuriating?

We have had (and are still having) a HORRIBLE experience with the Upwork dispute team regarding a freelancer who made a catastrophic coding error and cost our business huge amounts of money. We are seeking a refund of the amount paid to this freelancer.

The dispute process is now in it’s second month, mainly because it takes an entire week to get a reply from Dispute, and even at that we are only able to get a reply after we call Customer Service and beg them to get us some attention over there. Then, when we finally do get some attention, they invariably respond by asking for something we have already given them. Seriously, in one case (out of many) they asked us THREE TIMES for information we had given them in the very first incident report.

We have essentially been going around in circles for many weeks with absolutely no progress or conclusion in sight. I am convinced that they are dragging out this process in hopes that we will get so weary and frustrated that we just give up and go away.

Meanwhile, the error made by the freelancer caused a serious setback to our business and Upwork has seen fit to drag it’s heels and be completely unhelpful in facilitating a resolution.

We are about to write extensive, detailed letters of complaint to 

Feedback Department

Upwork

441 Logue Avenue 

Mountain View California 94043

Stephane Kasriel

Upwork

441 Logue Avenue 

Mountain View California 94043

If anyone knows of anything we can do to accelerate a resolution to this matter, or suggest an alternative course of action, or someone else to appeal to, please let us know.

6 REPLIES 6
kugrin

Email management directly (see About Us section at the bottom of the main page), use cc extensively. (Emails usually follow the same 2-3 patterns.) Wait two-three days. If that doesn't work, posting your experience all over social media with the right hashtags will. 

The thing with Upwork is that if you manage to get through to the right person, they can actually resolve issues quickly and quite competently. Just the getting through to said person is a challenge.

I hope you can get it resolved quickly!

Thank you!!

@Krisztina U wrote:

If that doesn't work, posting your experience all over social media with the right hashtags will. 

This has been my strategy to getting my issue some faster attention. I posted to their wall on Facebook and got a request for my ticket number. I was cautioned that most departments don't usually operate on the weekend, but that probably will not stop me from hashtagging the bajeebus out of Upwork all weekend. 

computerhxr

@Julia M wrote:

We have had (and are still having) a HORRIBLE experience with the Upwork dispute team regarding a freelancer who made a catastrophic coding error and cost our business huge amounts of money. We are seeking a refund of the amount paid to this freelancer.

I'm happy to have never worked for you.

kugrin

Julia, we don't know the details of your project, but Daniel has a point. 

It's unusual to request a full refund for a mistake. We all make mistakes sometimes, and that's why it's important to review the final deliverable before releasing payment. I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's not the coding error that cost your business huge amounts of money, but the lack of testing and reviewing before going live did. I still don't think that any dispute process should drag on for months, but you should prepare yourself for the possibility of an unfavorable outcome and be willing to compromise.

I think nearly everyone reading this thread would agree that we feel terrible about the problems you and your company experienced due to a programmer making a mistake.

It may be entirely appropriate to close a contract and stop working with that programmer. But it is even more appropriate to begin using a different project manager for that project. A single programmer error should not cause such massive problems in a properly run development operation.

If the programmer was the project manager, then you made a mistake. Having a programmer serve as his own project manager is not a good practice. Sometimes it works out fine, but it is a gamble as to whether any particular programmer is up to the task or not.

The fact that you filed a dispute here shows that you did not have a proper understanding of how Upwork's dispute process works or what its purpose is.

When Upwork is properly understood and used the right way, there should never be any reason to file a dispute.