🐈
» Forums » Clients » Is Upwork monitoring my calls in any way?
Page options
realvalue
Community Member

Is Upwork monitoring my calls in any way?

I will have to interview freelancers using the Upwork call tool. By the way, terrible terrible process to make that thing work, people dont even get notified properly about calls and there's no booking process apart from 1950s style manual booking.

Onward to my question:

Will my calls with freelancers be monitored in ANY WAY? If not, why can't I use my preferred contact tools after June 26?

If my calls are going to be monitored, how do I discuss private client info I'm legally obligated to protect from prying ears?

Looks like a catch 22 and I won't even be able to use upwork anymore...

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork has officially said that they will not monitor calls.

When I imagine:
What if I, myself, was Upwork?
I would be too lazy to monitor calls.
How do I make money by monitoring calls? I don't.

So I am not going to pay people to monitor calls.
And I am going to assume that if I told people I'm not monitoring calls, but then get caught actually monitoring calls, people would get very angry.

So I believe Upwork when they say they won't be monitoring calls.

Obviously we have all read news stories about companies and government organizations that said they were NOT monitoring calls, and then it turned out that they were (in fact) monitoring calls. Or they said they weren't monitoring our web searches, or our social media, etc... And then it turned out that they were doing exactly what they said they were NOT doing.

So I understand if you are skeptical.
But in Upwork's case, I really do not think they are monitoring calls now or plan to do so in the future.

Thank you for responding.

Yes, I've read that.

"monitor" means nothing, where do we get specifics?

Also, if the calls are not "monitored" (whatever that actually means), what is the point of doing calls on a call platform that does maybe 20% of what I need it to do?

The main reason for complying with this rule is that Upwork has asked you to do so.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aleksander,

I can confirm that Voice/Video calls aren't recorded or monitored by Upwork. Only people who are added to the room can join a call initiated in that room.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths