cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Is Upwork's messaging to clients inadequate? Causing problems?

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
11 of 11

I'm beginning to wonder this myself. I just came across an hourly job post and the description specifically said they were looking for two pro bono grant writers, and it's a great opportunity for a new graduate to get experience. OMFG. Seriously? We are not here to work for free. I do have a client account although I haven't hired through it yet, but I do have plans to when I get to the point I'm ready to do some work on a specific project of mine. And I'm getting ready to dive into that account right now to see if this was just blatant disregard for the TOS or if they really are so clueless that they'd ask someone to PAY to apply to a job that, even if they get, they wouldn't get paid for. And if they hired this person, and how would that even work? How can you even hire someone on UpWork without paying them? I mean, I know, you can't, but like, are they even thinking this through or caring? The more I think about it, they are just blatantly ignoring TOS. 

I've had so many clients ask to go off platform. I've had so many clients tell me when I work fixed-price projects that I'm getting paid before the work is done, because they have to put the work in escrow. I don't think it's because they don't read TOS. These were all smart people. They just don't care. They just want to screw over the FL and get the work for the cheapest they can. They want to take advantage of someone, and for some reason they think the FL will be amenable to that. Which is just, well, insane. 

Okay, rant over. I don't know if the messaging is wrong or if so many clients are just disrespectful to honest FL who are skilled at what they do. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS