cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it considered rude to make multiple offers to hire people for a one person job?

Ryan C Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
1 of 18

Hi Everyone, 

I'm new here and posted my first job.  Right away I received eight proposals.  I was in a rush to get started on this job and made offers to hire three of the eight candidates.  I was wondering if this is considered rude, or against the rules to make an offer to hire multiple people for a one-person job?  My reason for doing this is that I wanted one person to accept the contract and begin work right away.  

I did make the offer settings so that whomever accepted first would close the job.  And I believe that once a freelancer accepts my hiring offer it will notify all the people who proposed to work for me that the job was now closed, correct?

I appreciate the help.  

One final small question:  I noticed that when I viewed my Jobs page that it showed no applicants for the job, but if I clicked and went into the job's details there was a Proposal section where I could view the eight candidates.  Is this is a bug, or did I set something up incorrectly on my profile? 

I appreciate the help! : ) 

-Ryan
Ace Contributor
Tiago S Member Since: Mar 20, 2012
BEST ANSWER
2 of 18

A client can hire whoever they want and as many freelancers as they want for a job. So it isn't against the rules. You can have multiple reasons for that. But usually a client should state it in the Job Application, there is most likely an option for that.

But if you are going to make an offer, that offer will stand always even if you hire someone else. So you are going to hire those three freelancers. Before they all accept it and you potentially ruin their Job Success score, please delete those offers.

A contract started but then finished without any earnings affects freelancers Job Success score which is a very important metric. If this isn't against the rules, it should be, meaning making an offer without being sure that the freelancer will have work and be paid.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 18

If you made three offers then all three can accept and all three will have a contract with you.

Only the freelancers whom you did not make an offer to will be notified that the job posting is closed. The three you made an offer to are hired as soon as they accept.

If it is an hourly job all 3 will be able to log time immediately when they accept the contract.

Just to clarify: When you said "I did make the offer settings so that whomever accepted first would close the job. " you mistakenly believed that one freelancer accepting the offer will withdraw the other two offers. This is not the case.

It will close your job POSTING - it will NOT withdraw the other two offers. If you were to end up with the work done 3 times you will be paying for the work done 3 times....

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 18

Ryan,

For MANY one-person jobs, the smart business decision is to hire more than one person. Three would be a good number.

Not for every job, but for many jobs.

This allows you to compare different contractors and keep working with the one who you like best, who you feel provides you with the highest-quality work and the best value.

You can save a LOT of money on your projects if you hire multiple people, pay multiple people, and then close the contracts with the contractor's whose work you don't consider the best fit for your project. That way you will have found the best possible contractor out of the pool of people you originally hire.

You should be able to choose your best contractors after seeing the work done by all of the contractors after an hour or two.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 18

@Preston H wrote:

You should be able to choose your best contractors after seeing the work done by all of the contractors after an hour or two.

I have a horrible feeling that Ryan might wake up to 3 freelancers having worked all night doing his entire job 3 times over for 8 hours each..................................

........... and that he may get quite the shock when he is charged 3 x on Monday....

Community Guru
6 of 18

re: "I have a horrible feeling that he might wake up to 3 freelancers having worked all night doing his entire job 3 times for 8 hours each"

Well, yes... As a contractor you set a limit on the number of hours the contractor can work. A client can set the limit to as little as 1 hour.

I often simply tell the contractors clearly that I'm looking to get different ideas and working with different people, and I only want an hour or two of work from them, so I can evaluate their work and decide whether to have them do more.

I have a long track record on Upwork, but many clients I work for do the same with me when I work as a contractor, and I don't mind at all.

Sometimes clients are unfamiliar with the kind of work I do. They know they need the help of a database designer, but they might not know what that means. I tell them they can set a limit of just a few hours or just an hour, and then see what I have done and decide where to go from there.

Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
7 of 18

Agreed.

It's also highly unethical advice to encourage clients to hire as many people as they want, then choose one and screw over the others. 

Community Guru
8 of 18

re: "It's also highly unethical advice to encourage clients to hire as many people as they want, then choose one and screw over the others."

Cairenn,

I appreciate your concern, but either I don't understand where you're coming from, or you don't understand what is being suggested here.

All the contractors are paid for their time. They get some additional jobs added to their profile without having to spend much time on a project.

As a client, you haven't promised anybody a long-standing contract, and you can even tell people up front that this a small project that might lead to more work, or that you are evaluating multiple people.

Why is this unethical and how is this screwing anybody over?

Community Guru
Corinne L Member Since: Jun 3, 2013
9 of 18

Preston, the thing is, I'm under the impression that Ryan intended to give work to and to pay only one contractor. Unfortunately, this will reflect on the others contractors' JSS, because Upwork will consider it's their fault if there was no work done and no money paid.

Community Guru
10 of 18

re: "Preston, the thing is, I'm under the impression that Ryan intended to give work to and to pay only one contractor."

Clearly it would be wrong to do. It would be harmful to contractors and be of no benefit to the client.

Yes, that would be unethical.

I don't know if anybody here was actually thinking of doing that, but now if anybody has considered that, they know not to do it.

Sometimes I have had pretty bad contractors. I make sure they get paid something, even if it just ten or twenty minutes worth of time. And I always leave feedback, because receiving no feedback is worse than receiving luke-warm or neutral feedback.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS