cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to give upfront payments anymore?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
1 of 7

Hi, I have been freelancing on oDesk for a while and I have just signed up as a client. I would like to offer a fixed price test job to someone (a freelancer I  have searched for and who seems ideal) with an upfront payment, but I'm not sure if this is even possible anymore, with the new escrow system.

I'd like to promise an upfront payment in my original message inviting the freelancer, but I want to make sure I can deliver on my promise, so I don't look like a liar.

If I can pay someone upfront, then  how?

(I've tried to find an answer to my question in the Help section of the website, but I haven't been able to.)

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

You can, Marcia, as a bonus or a milestone you immediately release.

just be aware that you would have not a lot of protection in the unlikely event of the freelancer running off with the up front payment.

Community Guru
3 of 7

Thanks Petra! It's a small test job so I can bear the loss. And a small price to pay to test character.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 7

Marcia, I think your plan is a good and honorable one.

I am not sure why you are only testing one candidate, as the purpose of a test would seem to be to get multiple results and better be able to choose among them. But I am sure you have your reasons.

Community Guru
5 of 7
I have a list of potential candidates.
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 7

Welcome back, Marcia.

Community Guru
7 of 7

Hi. I am having a problem with this. When I created the job offer, I put the entire cost of the job in escrow. ($20 for a small test job.) The freelancer has accepted the offer, and now I want to give her $10.

However, when I try to give a bonus payment, Upwork says it will take an additional $10 out of my account, meaning that she will get $30 in the end instead of $20.

I guess I messed up by putting the entire amount in escrow.

This is a new freelancer who has had clients try to take her off the platform and get her to work for free, so I offered the upfront payment to show good faith. That is also why I wanted to make sure that she saw that I had funded the full cost of the job.

Is there any way to rectify this or do I have to apologise and tell her that she won't get any payment until the work is competed?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS