🐈
» Forums » Clients » Is it possible to keep money in escrow and re...
Page options
61b7342c
Community Member

Is it possible to keep money in escrow and reroute it to another project ?

One of my developers cancelled his job, it means money will return to my credit card soon. But instead, I want to use it in another job that I launched right after. Since there are many losses between money returns-re_pays etc, I am wondering if such a thing is possible.

I was hoping to ask this to support by opening a ticket, but it seems there is no private support anymore, or a serious effort has been spent to hide it perfectly.

Regards,

Alper

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Alper,

Thanks for sharing your experience. While this is not currently possible, we'll be sure to pass your suggestion along for the team to review.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AndreaG

Hi Alper,

Thanks for sharing your experience. While this is not currently possible, we'll be sure to pass your suggestion along for the team to review.

~Andrea
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Alper:
I recomend that you plan for this to never happen.

The technical infrastructure is not in place to do this.

Upwork operates using "true escrow" accounts. So the people in charge of how this all works want to work within esrow guidelines that THEY DID NOT MAKE. If they deviate from those guidelines, then they won't be able to call it "esrow."

This means that escrow money is set aside for a specific freelancer.

And if it doesn't go to that freelancer, because the freelancer agreed to refund the money, then the money needs to go back to the client.

If you don't want losses associated with escrow payments, then do what I do:
I have hired over 180 freelancers on Upwork, almost entirely using hourly contracts.

With hourly, I don't make ANY up-front payments of escrow money. I don't have ANY money tied in up in escrow. I can end a contract at any time, without needing to ask a freelancer for an escrow refund and without having to release money for work that wasn't done.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths