cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe to give my UDID to my Upwork App creator?

Joe C Member Since: Jan 19, 2016
1 of 3

Hello, 

I had an idea for an app and I figured Upwork would be a great place to look for help on the technical side. I found a seemingly qualified person to create the app, but was unsure of one item - After he did the first draft of the general design of the app (which I approved), he asked for my UDID and Apple Developer account login. 

Full disclosure - I did initially ask him if, upon completion of app, he would be able to submit it to the App store, so his request for my Apple Developer account isn't completely out of the blue. 

Anyways, I have read several articles in which said the UDID doesn't give away personal information. Other articles say, while it doesn't specifically give away personal items, it still isn't safe to give away. 

My question - is it normal practice for people that outsource their App creation on here to give away their UDID? What about their Apple Developer account so that I can rest assured that it was submitted to Apple properly (since I'm a first timer)?

Much thanks.

Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
2 of 3

Every service has terms of use; and will specifically make reference to who can or cannot use a particular "account".

That said, I have immediately cut off communications when someone says they are "Joe" and the name on the account says "Bob"; unless you clarify that at the outset. I'm not interested in drama or people letting me address them by some other name than their own. Creepy.

Phil A Member Since: Feb 14, 2017
3 of 3

Hi Joe, I have the exact same question about giving away my UDID. Did you determine if it was safe to provude the number to your developer for beta testing? Thanks.

Phil

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS