Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it safe to hire a logo designer?

65d041c0
Ignacy M Member Since: Jul 28, 2016
1 of 19

Hello,

I am thinking about hiring a graphic designer who will design a logo for my company. But I have some concerns regarding copyrights. What will happen, if a logo designed by a freelancer has been plagiarised? It would difficult to check, if a freelancer just copied and modified logo of other company.

Who will bear legal consequences of such plagiarism? Freelancer who designed the logo or me, who makes  a commercial use of it?

I know user agreement. But it is just Internet, not a signed legal paper. I do not even know freelancer, maybe in fact he/she has different personality etc. Will such agreement be ackonwledged by courts etc?

I want to avoid such problems and get a logo that is a result of designer's own work.

To sum up: is it safe to hire a logo designer on Upwork?

Thank you
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 19

It is safe to hire a logo designer on Upwork.

You're worrying too much about these things.

You can always do a Google image search on your new logo to help you determine if it is similar to some other logo. This can often help you identify whether distinctive graphic elements have been copied from somewhere else.

The more professional the designer you hire, the less likely you are to hire somebody who is a going to copy a logo from somebody else.

If your logo does not incorporate any distinctive graphics or distinctively-styled text, there's not much to worry about.

If your company is "Acme Bike Parts" and your logo looks similar to the logo for The National Bank... maybe the font is the same and the color is similar... do you think The National Bank is going to sue you or something? Do you think they care? Do you think there is anything they can do about it?

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
3 of 19

"...do you think The National Bank is going to sue you or something? Do you think they care? Do you think there is anything they can do about it?"

Possibly. Probably. Absolutely. 

Although I agree that going for a more professional logo designer is the way to go... i.e. one that has history here, good reviews, a decent portfolio and charges professional rates.  

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
blendq
Ace Contributor
Blend C Member Since: Sep 12, 2016
4 of 19

Hello.

I think this is very important to know. 
For example,  publishing them on your site can damage your reputation and ruin your search engine rankings.
No matter if you are a big or small company, plagiarism is bad. 

Therefore there are plenty of ways to see if the freelancer has plagiarised.
copyscape.com is one of them, also , if you have found your logo is copied please go to LogoThief and shame your freelancers work. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
5 of 19

All good points.

And of course you don't want your logo to be a copy of another logo.

But just keep in mind that every company's logo looks similar to the logos of other companies.

There are only so many letters in the alphabet, and there is a limited number of colors, fonts, styles, clever twists, etc. Eventually you run out of ways with which you can be 100% distinctive.

Just like with books, TV shows and movies and anything else. I think the Netflix TV show "Stranger Things" is great, but do you think it doesn't have a lot in common with previous TV shows?

ccaringpro
Ms Joy c Member Since: Sep 15, 2007
6 of 19

Excellent info thx

ahammed_farid
Community Guru
Farid Ahammed B Member Since: May 30, 2016
7 of 19

Smiley Very Happy

mariawicz5
Community Guru
Maria A Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
8 of 19

Yes, it's safe to hire a logo designer on UpWork; however, make sure you're hiring a quality graphic designer and not just the lowest bid. Usually it's not hard to gauge a successful portfolio and profile over someone who's either stealing images or doesn't have the skill set. Also, ask any questions during the interview process before hiring.

lomen_jan
Community Guru
Jan L Member Since: Jul 5, 2015
9 of 19

As a designer myself, I can tell you that most of the time you should have no fear in logo designers here.  Write a good brief, deliver good input expect professional output. Seems easy? To be safe and not sorry here are some advices that would help you.

Advice 1

Write a good brief

Designer are not mind readers and you can deliver them crucial information in said brief. You write down your targeted market, your vision, your values... It can be lenghty, but it is of great importance. The more we know, the less we waste time on imagining things that can be applied to your brand.

Advice 2

Use hourly contract for the best results

Generally, the one logo with one revision cost 100$. You can expect clichée or knock-offs if you want to pay less. Hourly contract is the best if you find a designer, cause it will give you more options to choose and revisions you have can be done. you know those little tweaks like "not really feeling that hue of red" or "That letter "T" is not your cup of the" and similar. Most of us are true professionals, we understand visual keys, colour codes and niche specifics, so if you get your revision it should be like some hours more of our work. If you are into fixed price - make sure that you add milestones for revisions (limit yourself to two milestones). I suggest you hourly contract cause we really use pencils to sketch and prototype your logos, so expect to add 2 hours of offline manually added time. 

Advice 3

Expect professional results.

Logo should be vector based in the end and delivered in PDF (Adobe Illustartor native PDF - same as .ai file), so you can open and review it, send to others etc... Also designer should deliver you branding guidelines - logo treatments. That is quite good thing if you work with other designers and will stop butchering your logo and brand. Also, if the designer used paid font, the best advice is that you use the same designer or buy that font yourself (you can simply lend the font to designer as you deliver them branding pack file - logo, guidelines and fonts).

Advice 4

Build trust

Gut feeling is really good thing when choosing designers, but trust your designer if he/she tells you that something won't work. Designers usually did all the rookie mistakes,, so if we say that something is not good - it isn't. 

I hope it helps.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
10 of 19

For the record, it can be easier to crack open a logo program, including web-based ones, and crank out a bunch of automatically generated logos, than it is to copy an existing logo from a company and convert that existing logo to the proper vector formats with the new company name.

I think getting poorly made or uninspired logos is far more likely than getting copied logos.... If you are not hiring genuine professionals.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS