🐈
» Forums » Clients » Is my source code correct?
Page options
96f9aa27
Community Member

Is my source code correct?

My freelance is going to send me all my source codes for the work done so far. How do I know that these codes are correct and contain all my work that has been completed this far?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
florydev
Community Member

Ilona M wrote:

My freelance is going to send me all my source codes for the work done so far. How do I know that these codes are correct and contain all my work that has been completed this far?

They should provide an explanation, at the very least, of how to build the application and run it so that you can verify for yourself that it does what it is supposed to.  That really is the only way to know for sure.

Personally, I always help my client setup an environment and show them how to build the application from source and then deploy it so that they know they are getting what they paid for.  I would talk to your freelancer about that.  If you paid them a fixed rate you might have to negotatiate another project with them to set this up.  If you have your doubts about them, and it definitely sounds like you do, then you should considering hiring another independent person to verify what has been done.

Going forward my advice is for you to have this upfront as part of your negotations with any software developer.  They should be checking their code into a source control system (that is managed by you) regularly and you should know or have someone who can build and deploy it so that it can be tested.  When they say they have built something, and you paid them for it, you should be able to demonstrate it right away, and verify that you are getting what you want.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Ilona M wrote:

You check it yourself, or you hire someone who can check it for you....

2a05aa63
Community Member

Ask them for a way to test the code in action. You don't need to read the code -> just to have a way to see yourself that it does what you asked for.

lysis10
Community Member

Viacheslav K wrote:

Ask them for a way to test the code in action. You don't need to read the code -> just to have a way to see yourself that it does what you asked for.

In the real world, I would agree but this is Upwork where nobody has any money and the OP is a prime target for some Auto Accepted Mobile Developer. He should probably get someone to review it. He won't, but he should.

florydev
Community Member

Ilona M wrote:

They should provide an explanation, at the very least, of how to build the application and run it so that you can verify for yourself that it does what it is supposed to.  That really is the only way to know for sure.

Personally, I always help my client setup an environment and show them how to build the application from source and then deploy it so that they know they are getting what they paid for.  I would talk to your freelancer about that.  If you paid them a fixed rate you might have to negotatiate another project with them to set this up.  If you have your doubts about them, and it definitely sounds like you do, then you should considering hiring another independent person to verify what has been done.

Going forward my advice is for you to have this upfront as part of your negotations with any software developer.  They should be checking their code into a source control system (that is managed by you) regularly and you should know or have someone who can build and deploy it so that it can be tested.  When they say they have built something, and you paid them for it, you should be able to demonstrate it right away, and verify that you are getting what you want.

There are clients who will spend tens of thousands of dollars or more on a development project, and there are clients who will only spend $100.

What kind of source code review or development process a client uses depends on their budget and the purpose of the project.

If their project is particularly modest, they may need nothing more than to test the program and make sure it works.

Thank you so much for your detailed response! It is not so much that I do not trust them but I have invested a lot of money into this so I would hate not to have the proper code.

Do you have a source code program that you recommend over others? 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths