cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the fixed price option safe for the buyer?

Highlighted
Jason T Member Since: Jan 20, 2014
1 of 3
Hi all, I have a fixed price I am willing to pay for my project, but someone told me you pay upfront and they may never complete the work. Is this true? Also, can the freelancers bid on the fixed price? Thanks!
Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
2 of 3
You can run into trouble with fixed price, but then again, so can the freelancer. Most freelancers will ask for an upfront payment to protect themselves from a client getting free work. Remember, you don't have to pay the whole amount upfront. I usually ask for 50% upfront but I know other freelancers ask for less. You can negotiate the amount of the upfront payment you are willing to make which would be acceptable to the freelancer. You need to be careful about who you pick. Look at their feedback. Someone with a good history on oDesk will be less inclined to disappear with your money because they won't want to ruin their history. If you have paid any amount over a dollar, you are allowed to leave feedback on their profile (and they on yours). Being able to leave feedback is one of the reasons people ask for an upfront. Many clients have hired freelancers on a fixed-price project. Just pick your freelancer carefully and you'll be fine.
Highlighted
Community Guru
William H Member Since: Dec 2, 2013
3 of 3
Hey all, I am a freelancer who joined a couple of months ago. I have never asked for an upfront payment, though a few clients have offered it. I've completed 27 contracts (many for hundreds of dollars), with no problem for payment (thus far). As long as clients continue to pay for my services once they are done, I don't see why they should have to pay upfront. In the "normal" world contracts are usually payable 30 days, not one or two. That's why I like oDesk - contracts are paid (at least thus far) immediately. Now, the minute I find a scummy client, my attitude might change, but as long as everyone keeps playing fair, the oDesk system is pretty awesome for both sides. Cheers, William
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS