cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a shortage of freelancers?

Juilen M Member Since: May 5, 2015
1 of 11

I posted a job ad more than a week ago, when UpWork was still oDesk. I tagged it as invite only as I didn't want to be deluged with hundreds of applications. Not satisfied with the candidates interviewed, I decided to publish it but only to oDesk users. The deluge didn't come. Only 4 applicants, and 4 recommendations from oDesk.

The job offer is very enticing, as is the compensation. The role is fit for an SEO/SEM/SMM freelancer, which is not highly specialized. So I'm confused at the turnout.

Posting a job ad is supposed to be time-saving compared to searching for freelancers on your own, yet so much of my time has been wasted waiting for them to apply to the ad.

Any suggestions? My need is urgent so your help is most welcome!

Thanks!!

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 11

Most likely most freelancers spent their connects, so the first of the month might have been a better time to post the job. Freelancers are being frugal with their connects, but some used theirs up before the end of the month. 

Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
3 of 11

A good budget and a clear job description would attract the quality freelancers.

Community Leader
Garrett M Member Since: Feb 13, 2015
4 of 11

No. Upworks new "connects" business model shortens the number of job applications from up to 100/mo for top rated freelancers to only 30/mo for everyone. If you want more connects you have to pay for them and the plans are not cheap. Please complain to support if you are unhappy with it. they are already taking 10% of every contract and making money on withdrawal fee's as well. If enough people contest this new model, they will be forced to revert back to the old system in order to save their business.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 11

re: "Is there a shortage of freelancers?"

I think there is an over-ABUNDANCE of freelancers in some job categories.

And a SHORTAGE of freelancers in other job categories.

I wish there were more people working in my job specialty, because I get way too many invites from people who want me to help them out, and I simply can't accommodate them all.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
6 of 11

You are a new client and you don't have a verified payment. You have no previous history and that makes you a high risk client for anyone who may have looked at your job. Many people will not waste there time on jobs with no verified payment as they have to spend connects to apply and many would not even consider you.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
7 of 11

@Jean S wrote:

You are a new client and you don't have a verified payment. You have no previous history and that makes you a high risk client for anyone who may have looked at your job. Many people will not waste there time on jobs with no verified payment as they have to spend connects to apply and many would not even consider you.

Jean, how do you know this?

Juilen, another reason for you not seeing enough applicants might be that as you set your offer public, it was already a few hours/days/weeks old, and showed up somewhere on page 3+ on the job feed. Most freelancers who are actively looking for work, scan the job feed several times a day so there is no reason for them to check out page 3+ of their feed.

Another reason might be that you simply interviewed too many candidates, and applicants might feel with so many interviews, there's no point in applying as you already found your candidate.

The recommended freelancer screen is only as good as your job post, and even with an awesome job post, it might be missing certain keywords for the match algorithm to connect you with the right candidate. The recommended freelancers you might see above a post are simply folks who oDesk thinks are relevant to what you need because they have some of the words you used in your job post on their profile. Sometimes it's spot on, other times it's the opposite of that. 

I'd probably close the offer, and create a new one, with different wording -- sometimes this really does wonders.

And last but not least, you can always reach out to support and ask to be put in touch with someone from client success. I am sure they'll be happy to assist you.

Good luck.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
8 of 11

I saw it by clicking on his name and seeing his client profile.

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
9 of 11

@Jean S wrote:

You can't see a clients profile by clicking on them. What you saw was an empty freelancer profile (signaled by words "hours worked" and "jobs worked") the forum seems to default to for clients.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
10 of 11

@Krisztina U wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

You can't see a clients profile by clicking on them. What you saw was an empty freelancer profile (signaled by words "hours worked" and "jobs worked") the forum seems to default to for clients.

But you can search jobs and see his jobs he has posted, if you search his name. He is unverified. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS