🐈
» Forums » Clients » Is this way of paying to Upwork legit?
Page options
alexandernovikov
Community Member

Is this way of paying to Upwork legit?

https://medium.com/@sondre.kolaautomat/how-to-pay-freelancers-in-upwork-with-bitcoins-or-any-other-a...

If you don't have Medium account, basically someone is suggesting one can pay their Upwork bills as a client, by doing this:

send the payment to employer-paypal@upwork.com, then chat with an Upwork support agent (login, click “Help & Support” and then “Chat with an agent”), and send the transaction information to him. The Upwork support service is incredible good and helpful. 

May i ask if this is a real thing and will work?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Alexander and others,

In rare cases where a client had a negative balance that they needed to settle urgently but had issues with their billing methods, we would offer an option to send money to Upwork’s PayPal account to pay that balance off. 

We do not allow clients to send payment to Upwork just to pre-fund their financial accounts. Clients should add an active billing method that can be charged for their payments.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
pgiambalvo
Community Member

I think any time a client tries to involve Bitcoin at all is a sure sign of a scam.

prestonhunter
Community Member

I am struggling with this part:

"send the payment to employer-paypal@upwork.com, then chat with an Upwork support agent"

If I set up a website with millions of users, then I want to make it as simple as possible for clients to pay freelancers, and I want to avoid requiring clients to interact with customer service personnel. Because that costst money.

As a client using Upwork, I have hired over 150 freelancers. I never had to send an email message to a Customer Support representative in order to pay a freelancer.

So this part about sending an email to somebody and then chatting with an Upwork support representative? This all seems very labor-intensive. And expensive for me to facilitate if I am the owner of the site.

moonraker
Community Member

Why not just pay Upwork using the standard channels?

Because many clients are in the crypto arena and their revenue or investments come in crypto.

Some are crypto whales.

Many of these people never had anything official in their name even as they fly private planes.

Anyway, it appears to only be an emergency way of payment if you have an unpaid balance and all of your normal payments methods don't work. They won't accept it as a normal way of paying. Sad.

Ah, I see. I missed the crypto part.

Alexander N wrote:

Because many clients are in the crypto arena and their revenue or investments come in crypto.

Some are crypto whales.

Many of these people never had anything official in their name even as they fly private planes.

Anyway, it appears to only be an emergency way of payment if you have an unpaid balance and all of your normal payments methods don't work. They won't accept it as a normal way of paying. Sad.

Since bitcon is only I think 15 years old or so, I would be very surprised if these people had never paid anything in any other way. Just pointing that out. It sounds like something someone claiming to fly his own private plane would say in order for someone else to eagerly join up. 😁

cassajoy
Community Member

Certainly not a real thing. I haven't heard of this on Upwork's platform.

The thing that gets me and I find funny is to "chat with an agent". Since when have agents been easy to reach? They're not supposed to be. It's not set up to go through them to be paid.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Alexander and others,

In rare cases where a client had a negative balance that they needed to settle urgently but had issues with their billing methods, we would offer an option to send money to Upwork’s PayPal account to pay that balance off. 

We do not allow clients to send payment to Upwork just to pre-fund their financial accounts. Clients should add an active billing method that can be charged for their payments.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths