cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with freelancers raising their rates?

c72c8f23
Courtney S Member Since: Jan 1, 2018
1 of 23

Has anyone else who posted a job found freelancers raising their rates once in contact or interviewed? I've had this happen three times now, two of the freelancers I reached out to and one applied. I got quite frustrated when the last one went from $12/hour to $25/hour after interview. 

I understand sometimes freelancers will raise their rates, and are able to at any time, but there should be a better system for this. And vice-versa, to protect freelancers time a client shouldn't post a job for $2k and down the line before begining the project say oh actually its $1k now. 

I was told by customer service to post this issue here since Upwork doesn't have anything to keep people accountable for this issue. 

rverang
Community Guru
Renante V Member Since: Feb 7, 2018
2 of 23

If it's a fixed rate project, I would understand a freelancer adjusting their bid/rate after the interview where the full scope of the project has been discussed.

For hourly rate, I'm not sure why a freelancer would drastically increase (more than double, in one freelancer's case) his rate. You may asked them to justify the vast difference. I'm not sure if you'd get either an honest answer or a valid one.

Personally, I wouldn't hire a person whose bid/hourly rate is $12/hr then increased it to $25/hr after the interview.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
3 of 23

If a freelancer reads the job description and bases their proposal on what they read, then during the interview they discover that the job is more complex, longer and more time consuming. Instead of the freelancer figuring out it will only take an hour to complete and then finds out it will now take 2 hours, I can see a rate increase to make up for the length of time. Also, if more work is added during the interview phase, which will increase the length of time to complete this also can cause a rate increase. This happening, would usually occur for fixed rate jobs. I can't think of why this would happen for hourly jobs.

In the future, try describing your job in as much detail as possible. When interviewing don't add on extra work then what was specified in the job description.

holymell
Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
4 of 23
I agree with both replies.

If the scope of work is clearer in the interview phase, I have certainly raised my rates before.

But on hourly contracts, I've raised my rates only by a few dollars here and there, not by twice the original proposed amount. I would suggest you also not hire the freelancer who wrote $12 in their proposal, then changed it to $24 during the interview.
bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
5 of 23

Actually, I am facing a similar situation.  It is an hourly job.  During interview I discovered that this would take a bit of research.  The time tracking APP does not have research mode, it counts clicks, mouse scrolls and clicks.  During research all of those are at very minimum. 

If the buyer allows me manual time entry, I could account for that.   But in that case I would not be protected.  So I thought raising the hourly rate might be reasonable (It would not be double though).  I am definitely interested knowing what others say.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 23

I know this is a bit more work for a client, but I'd check the freelancer's profile work history to see what hourly rates the freelancer has recently worked for, and if they're much higher than their advertised rate, then the freelancer's stated rate is deceptive. On the other hand, if the freelancer normally works for a lower rate, then ask for an explanation as to why you alone should hire them for a higher rate.

Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 23

I'm a freelancer.

Honestly, I can't get my mind around this, either.

My posted rate is my rate.

If I want to raise it, I'll raise it in between looking for jobs. But not while I'm working on a contract. And certainly not after I have been invited to interview for a job, or after I send a proposal.

But that's just me.

If other freelancers do things differently, I guess it's fine as long as they aren't breaking any Upwork rules. I just don't relate to it.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 23

I wonder if there is some kind of misunderstanding, as it's actually not all that straightforward to change a bid after the interview.

What the profile rate is at any given time does not affect the bid on an active candidacy and plenty of freelancers have a profile rate far in excess of what they actually work at, it's a cheap and plump and clumsy "marketing trick."

Sometimes clients also think the hourly rate is the fixed price bid...

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
9 of 23

Renante and Kathy are correct.  Prashant makes a very valid point when it comes to research.  Until the buyer/client and the proposed freelancer actually discuss, in detail, exactly what is needed no bid is truly accurate.  And no estimate on time needed (hourly gigs) is either.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 23

@Wendy C wrote:

Renante and Kathy are correct.  Prashant makes a very valid point when it comes to research.  Until the buyer/client and the proposed freelancer actually discuss, in detail, exactly what is needed no bid is truly accurate.  And no estimate on time needed (hourly gigs) is either.

Sure, but does it really make sense to have different hourly rates in such cases? I get it when it comes to fixed rate bids, or estimates of how many hours it'll take, but an hour of time is an hour of time as far as I am concerned. A difficult project simply takes more hours.

When I see profiles with the hourly rates all over the shop and wildly differing I suspect the freelancer doesn't know how to quote or simply tries to take advantage of (some) clients.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS