cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with freelancers raising their rates?

holymell
Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
11 of 23
For me this only happens when I find that someone needs a ghostwriter instead of an editor. I do three different kinds of editing and I'm fine charging the same hourly rate for two of them, unless a substantive edit is required, or a ghostwriter. Those are the two that I do charge more for because they are more intensive.

But again, I only up the rate by two or three bucks an hour. Nothing crazy

I've noticed that a lot of clients think they need a proofread, only for me to find out after looking at the manuscript that they're at least two edits from that proofread.

That's why I up my rate occasionally. Is that bad? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm truly curious. If I should stop that, I definitely will. The very last thing you want is for clients to think I'm a liar, or shady.
bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
12 of 23

@Petra R wrote:

it's a cheap and plump and clumsy "marketing trick."

I did not think like that.  I bid my posted rate for projects that take short 'X' hours.  If I think the project may be for longer time I charge less per hour.

c72c8f23
Courtney S Member Since: Jan 1, 2018
13 of 23

I didn't add details but I posted a job for simple translation work, which freelancers are usually hired for simple translation work. So understandably if it's a multifaceted job then they can say their rate would be higher, but I think they do this to engage clients in an unfair way.

This seems fairly common in my case right now, I think doubling their price is a little out of hand though.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
14 of 23

I suggest you go for fixed rates for translations. All you have to share in the job description are word count, languages, and maybe topic. Share the file with those freelancers that leave a good impression in their proposal.

A reason for inceasing the rate might be the source file e.g. I turned down a 30K job the other day because it was all images and the client wanted me to type the English text as well as the translation without paying extra for it.

Increasing the rate for an hourly contract during the interview does not make sense to me since the client has to pay for my time anyway.

c72c8f23
15 of 23

Great advice! Although this is an ongoing project that can be anywhere from 3-6 months. I don't have much of an idea of hour to lump it into one fixed project and I wouldn't want to undercut a freelancer either.

Thank you for your help though! 

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
16 of 23

Just use milestones. Create a new one everytime you send a text to the freelancer. I have several clients that work like that. This way both of you are on the save side.

c72c8f23
17 of 23

I think you're right since another freelancer I just spoke to originally had his rates at $20, bumped it up to $30, oh boy!

arekzagdan
Arkady Z Member Since: Apr 28, 2018
18 of 23

Perhaps you haven't clarified specifics of this translation in the Original Job post.
There is huge difference between social, legal, medical and financial translation.
I have seen people charging for legal tranlations $40 / hour which I find ok, I would never pay this rate for basic social /marketing translation though.
Hope it helpsSmiley Happy

c72c8f23
19 of 23

Thanks Arkady! But I was very straightforward in my post this would be basic business Japanese translations. I guess that's why I find it more surpirsing at the huge jumps in rates (sometimes more than double!) when freelancers post that's what thir rates are for. 

Unfortuantely upworks platform didn't assist me in the end with finding a freelancer for my job, I was able to find someone through another translations website that was no-nonsense. I do appreciate UpWorks platform though but for this simpler job it definitley turned me off to the process of extreme rate raising that seems natural. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
20 of 23

@Courtney S wrote:

Thanks Arkady! But I was very straightforward in my post this would be basic business Japanese translations. I guess that's why I find it more surpirsing at the huge jumps in rates (sometimes more than double!) when freelancers post that's what thir rates are for. 

Unfortuantely upworks platform didn't assist me in the end with finding a freelancer for my job, I was able to find someone through another translations website that was no-nonsense. I do appreciate UpWorks platform though but for this simpler job it definitley turned me off to the process of extreme rate raising that seems natural. 

Courtney it really does depend on how you worded your job offer, which obviously from these posts we can't be privy to.  I have to say it is unusual for hourly rates to change in the way you say. However, I have a base per-word rate, which will accord with my hourly rate, so it is possible that I could quote way above what the client is expecting. 

Also if you are a translating agency, bear in mind that a freelancer has fairly heavy fees to pay to Upwork so if you too, as an agency, have to make a profit from freelancers, you might be better off going elsewhere. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS