cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It looks like freelancers are allowed to hide bad reviews, is this true?

Vishal S Member Since: Dec 17, 2019
11 of 21

Hi Preston,

No, this clearly not the case today in 2019. I just closed a contract and gave feedback on the Freelancer, praising the great parts of the job, but also pointing out the part where he gave me the run around when he discovered that possibly an error on his part had caused some parts of a migration to not work. He could have let me know that he cannot or does not know how to fix the issue or maybe even doesn't have time (the problem came a month or so after an initial migration), but he chose to not do that, and give me the run around instead. I find that for my job on his profile it says "No Feedback Given", which is not accurate. I gave the feedback and I closed the job. So, clearly Upwork has allowed the freelancer to hide/delete my feedback because it would provide an honest evaluation of his capabilities. Or, maybe it will show up after 2 weeks have passed. We'll see.

Ritchelle B Member Since: Oct 19, 2018
12 of 21

Preston, this does not mean the freelancer closed the contract -- that may have been true back in 2018, but not anymore. Clients can absolutely close a contract without leaving a review -- it's not impossible. One of my repeat clients do not leave feedback anymore and only left feedback for our first two contracts. I also had a client tell me that he couldn't figure out how to leave a review -- he was new to Upwork. So "No feedback given" means the client was too busy to leave a review, couldn't figure out how to leave a review, or didn't want to leave a review. "This feedback has been removed" is bad feedback that a freelancer asked Upwork to remove.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 21

Ritchelle B wrote:

Preston, this does not mean the freelancer closed the contract -- that may have been true back in 2018, but not anymore. Clients can absolutely close a contract without leaving a review 

Nope.

Not the case.

The party who closes the contract, be it the freelancer or the client, does not have a choice, they have to leave feedback. This is as true in 2020 as it was in 2018 or 2015 or 2012.

This is why, if we want feedback, we encourage clients to be the ones to close the contract: that means we are guaranteed feedback, because as Preston absolutely correctly pointed out: It is impossible for a client (or a freelancer) to do the closing of the contract WITHOUT leaving feedback.

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
14 of 21

Why do you assume that good freelancers with 5 stars in all his/her jobs are hiding something?

Anyway, I don't think hiding rating is actually possible. Maybe you watched those profiles being logged off?

Eric C Member Since: May 26, 2011
15 of 21

Sergio,

I only implied that the freelancer might be hiding something because I thought freelancers were allowed to remove bad reviews. If that WERE the case (which I have just learned is not possible) and a freelancer's profile had 7 5-star ratings and 11 'no feedback' ratings I would think they are hiding something. But, as others have pointed out, it is not possible for a freelancer to hide his rating from a job. So now that I know this, I would not say the freelancer is hiding anything.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
16 of 21

@Eric C wrote:

Sergio,

I only implied that the freelancer might be hiding something because I thought freelancers were allowed to remove bad reviews. If that WERE the case (which I have just learned is not possible) and a freelancer's profile had 7 5-star ratings and 11 'no feedback' ratings I would think they are hiding something. But, as others have pointed out, it is not possible for a freelancer to hide his rating from a job. So now that I know this, I would not say the freelancer is hiding anything.

Top Rated freelancers do have the ability to remove a negative review from their profile but it is limited. You cannot just remove all scores. I don't recall the criteria as I have never used it, but it may be something like 1 every 3 months after so many contracts, etc. I believe though it would say something to the effect that the feedback has been removed. Since I don't think it was brought up, I did want to mention this for the sake of completeness. Otherwise, if you are seeing no score - as others have pointed out - they are likely freelancers who are new and have not completed enough work to get a score. Everyone on this platform starts with nothing (from a UW score perspective) and has to work to get that JSS score. So someone without a score could have 20 years of great success but has only been on Upwork for 20 minutes and so no score yet. 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 21

Eric C wrote:

Sergio,

Eric, 

Freelancers are not allowed to "hide" anything. Whatever you are seeing is what Upwork is allowing you to see. 

Top-rated freelancers are allowed a perk on a single really bad feedback and  can ask for it to be removed. This will show on their profile as "This feedback has been removed". The perk can only be used in certain circumstances. "No feedback" means exactly that - that neither party, for whatever reason, has  left feedback, it is not necessarily a point against the freelancer or the client. 

If you are not getting the full picture on a freelancer's profile, this will have nothing to do with the freelancer but how Upwork chooses to show you their profile. 

18 of 21

Nicola,

After how much time exactly does feedback appear on the profile of the freelancer or the client?

In my case, I closed a job, gave feedback, but see that on the Freelancer's profile it still shows up as "No Feedback Given" - how can that be, if I closed the job and provided feedback? Even if Upwork is waiting on the freelancer to give his feedback, should it not show the client's feedback (or visa-versa when that is the case) in the meantime? What if the freelancer does not leave any feedback  ... ever? Many freelancers I've worked with do that - they don't leave any feedback. I suppose just like busy clients, freelancers are busy too, and once a job is done, they also don't have time to leave feedback.

Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
19 of 21

Vishal S wrote:

Nicola,

After how much time exactly does feedback appear on the profile of the freelancer or the client?

In my case, I closed a job, gave feedback, but see that on the Freelancer's profile it still shows up as "No Feedback Given" - how can that be, if I closed the job and provided feedback? Even if Upwork is waiting on the freelancer to give his feedback, should it not show the client's feedback (or visa-versa when that is the case) in the meantime? What if the freelancer does not leave any feedback  ... ever? Many freelancers I've worked with do that - they don't leave any feedback. I suppose just like busy clients, freelancers are busy too, and once a job is done, they also don't have time to leave feedback.

It's a two week window - if you have provided feedback, the freelancer can't view it until they leave feedback or 14 days pass (at which time they can not leave feedback). Until both parties have responded or 14 days have gone by since the contract was closed, it will say "no feedback given."

I promise, the freelancer can't do this.

20 of 21
Thanks Nicola for the prompt reply! I see, so I'll wait until 14 days
elapse and see what happens at that point. Thanks for clarifying.

-Vishal
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS