🐈
» Forums » Clients » Job Posting Removed Without Proper Reason
Page options
a0a279ae
Community Member

Job Posting Removed Without Proper Reason

HI,

I posted a detailed job posting on Upwork. After 24 hrs of posting, suddenly it was removed stating that it violated ToS. It stated -

"We recently learned that your job post violated our Terms of Service because you requested that a freelancer engage in deceptive marketing techniques, which includes things such as spamming another website, creating fake followers on social media sites, etc."

The job posting was about writing articles on products reviews and health and wellness. It was nowhere related to spamming a website, creating fake followers on social media etc.

I am trying to get in touch with the support staff to explain the same since a couple of hrs but no replies from their side on why the Job was removed. 

This is my first posting and I am totally confused what went wrong as they provide no answers to my queries. 

Regards,

18 REPLIES 18
kathrynbaughman
Community Member

Product reviews are a touchy area in general.  Were they simply comparison reviews (ie. product A compared to product B, C, and D) or were they reviews to be posted to somewhere like Amazon?  

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~

Hi,

Yes, you are absolutely right. Comparing products, developing best of XXX categories etc.

They were to be posted on our blog, not on Amazon or any other e-commerce website. I see so many samples of product reviews by freelancers on Upwork - not sure why a review posted on a blog will violate ToS!

Is there a possibility that the team at Upwork misunderstood them as to be written on Amazon? It would have been so much better if they had just asked for clarification rather than removing the posting abruptly. It is causing so much of problems at my end.

Just hoping they will review and make the posting alive again.

Regards,

Hi,

Here is what I posted --, Do you feel it looks like I am asking reviews to be posted on Amazon? We are saying we need articles, Never I have said they will be posted on Amazon. I have also told we run several blog websites!!

I am not sure what is causing the confusion with Upwork team! 

We have been in business since 2011 and run several blog websites. Our blogs cumulative get ~4 mn visitors per year. 

We are looking for writers with prior experience in reviewing Amazon products / writing articles on products / general health and wellness articles.

No of articles and duration of the work:
----------------------------------------

Ours is an ongoing work. Find below the details of the first assignment - 

1) We plan to assign 150 articles to start with (average length - 1,000 words)
2) Expected time for delivery will be 2 months

While we would prefer to work with a single writer, if delivery time is a problem, we would be fine dividing the work among two or more writers too.

Once the first batch is over, we would have further articles to be written. We have an ongoing requirement of writers and several writers have been working with us for more than 3 years now. Thus, we really value relationships with our writers. 

Key qualities required from our side:
------------------------------------

1) Quality of research has to be top notch. We value well research articles
2) Language has to be fluent and conversational
3) Quick turnaround time 

Please feel free to get back to us in case of any queries. 

Regards,

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Naveen,

Please, note that jobs that include violating ToS of other websites aren't allowed on Upwork. If your job post implies that that may be the case it can be removed. I'll ask the team to follow up on your ticket and provide further explanation of Upwork ToS.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Dear Valeria,

I do know that, but it seems your team has removed a genuine post which is not violating ToS at all causing lots of problems at my end.

What I think is you have assumed when I said reviews - that they have to be posted on Amazon, but that is not the case at all. They are product reviews to be posted on our blog. I am sure there is no violation in content which reviews products! I see so many assignments which have been by writers while making review articles.

It would have been so much better if you guys would have just asked and clarified this rather than abruptly removing a genuine post. This is causing loss of reputation at our end.  

Can I please ask to make the job live asap! Suggest me changes is you want me to do if you have.

Regards,

Naveen

Naveen,

The same posting can't be reinstated. You can, however, post a new job posting with more details explaining that it doesn't involve Amazon reviews or writing any other reviews for products the freelancer didn't use.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi,

But this is so unprofessional at Upwork's part! I had spent so much time in searching and inviting freelancers. All that time will go waste. What will they feel when they come to click on invite and job is closed!

This is such a bad way to handle a mistake done at your end. I put the exact version of my post below, please tell me what exactly was causing the ToS violation? In fact, the profile never says we want people to write reviews, it just says prior experience. 

We have been in business since 2011 and run several blog websites. Our blogs cumulative get ~4 mn visitors per year. 

We are looking for writers with prior experience in reviewing Amazon products / writing articles on products / general health and wellness articles.

No of articles and duration of the work:
----------------------------------------

Ours is an ongoing work. Find below the details of the first assignment - 

1) We plan to assign 150 articles to start with (average length - 1,000 words)
2) Expected time for delivery will be 2 months

While we would prefer to work with a single writer, if delivery time is a problem, we would be fine dividing the work among two or more writers too.

Once the first batch is over, we would have further articles to be written. We have an ongoing requirement of writers and several writers have been working with us for more than 3 years now. Thus, we really value relationships with our writers. 

Key qualities required from our side:
------------------------------------

1) Quality of research has to be top notch. We value well research articles
2) Language has to be fluent and conversational
3) Quick turnaround time 

Please feel free to get back to us in case of any queries. 

Regards,

Also, please see there are so many writers saying they write product reviews! Their profile tag line says so. 

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01f8e95c39f97841eb

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01733b261a5e302f79

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0107a59015bea0d377

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~015062d7ef7c27fc13

Not only that there are projects like these which have been awarded to them through Upwork-

https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01aa1228ed64a2f68c

There are so much more I can point out! 

Finally --- I am still not able to understand which reviews are not allowed. This is what I mean by a review. Let me know if this is fine or not - 

Suppose, there is a product, for example - twin mattress.

The writer has to do the following:
  1. write about twin mattress
  2. list top 5 twin mattress selling on Amazon and write their USPs using various parameters such as price, comfort, star rating, warranty, etc.(this is what the review part is)
  3. send the articles to us
  4. we upload it on OUR BLOG and not on Amazon or another e-commerce website.
I hope this is allowed because I see so many posting of this kind of content on Upwork and so many freelancers have them as their samples! Are you saying the one I mentioned is not allowed? 

yitwail
Community Member

Naveen, Upwork may not confirm it, but what probably happened is that the occurrence of "reviewing" and "Amazon" in your job post was detected by an algorithm. At that point, a human being should have reviewed the post, but perhaps the algorithm removed it without human intervention. So, despite what Valeria wrote, you may be better off rewording the job post to remove all mention of Amazon or any other retailer name, and instead use something vague like "prominent online merchants", if you're willing to repost the job.

Dear John,

Thanks and I do feel you are right here.

But this is so unprofessional on their part! And they are not accepting the fault and also not making the post live.

I have given above example of posts which has "Amazon" and "reviews" in their title leave aside in content !! ***Edited for Community Guidelines***

Then it seems double standards to me. where a post with "review and Amazon" in post title survives and a post which says you need to have experience of reviewing is shot down!

I appreciate Upwork having strict rules, but this is such a careless mistake on their part and they are helping at all!

I am waiting for a reply on what kind of reviews are actually allowed.!  

yitwail
Community Member

Naveen, I don't understand how the job in your example was allowed, and it must have been because there are hires listed. You could still flag it as inappropriate, if that would give you some satisfaction.

Dear John,

That was not my job or intention. 

My purpose is just to find out what can I REALLY post so that their system does not shot it down again based on its whims and fancies as done this time. 

I gave this example that it may not be the algorithm after all who is deciding this.

Given, they have said they cannot make the post live again! Which I feel, they should have given its a legit post! I am waiting for a reply from Upwork to know what kinds of review post are allowed and what words / etc. are not.

Regards,

As John stated, do not mention Amazon at ALL in the job description or title.  In fact, it is best not to call them reviews, as that is not what you are asking for anyway.

From what I am reading, you are looking for product comparison articles, which are not reviews.  This is important, because mentioning reviews is a pain for job posts in general.  

Nearly every site out there like Amazon has a strict policy against paid reviews, which is why UpWork cannot allow jobs like that (even if some fall through the cracks).  Whether it is an algorithm catching it, or a human with limited English who can't tell the difference, either way the mention of reviews and Amazon in the same post are going to key off a filter.

Another thing to consider is that it wasn't the automatic filter at all, but someone reading the post who flagged it.  This can also happen, as Freelancers are encouraged to flag jobs that may need to be looked at for ToS violations.  There again, the main issue could be lack of understanding.

Simply repost the job, list it correctly as product comparison articles, and keep out the filtercentric words like Review, Amazon, etc. and everything should be fine, as there will be no room for error by either a filter or a human.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~

Dear Kathryn,

Thanks a lot for this workaround. I am sure this would work. 

I am making another brief. The biggest problem is inviting the freelancers again, it took so much time first time itself.

But I guess I am left with no other option.

Thanks so much for the help! Means a lot.

Regards,

@Naveen S wrote:

Dear Kathryn,

Thanks a lot for this workaround. I am sure this would work. 

I am making another brief. The biggest problem is inviting the freelancers again, it took so much time first time itself.

But I guess I am left with no other option.

Thanks so much for the help! Means a lot.

Regards,

This gives you a chance to be much more selective in which freelancers you invite as well, so simply consider it an educational experience.  After all, it has resulted in a chance for you to refine your invite list and improve the job post itself, both things that will carry into future posts as well.

Sometimes education is free, sometimes it costs us some time.  At least it didn't cost you money. 🙂

🙂

You are right!

This is what I have created now, what do you think?  *** Edited for Community Guidelines***

Hope this works. Keeping fingers crossed!

Next task - invite some good writers !

Cheers!

Naveen

carol_hughes
Community Member

This has just happened for me too, and I am totally in the dark as to why. What I do know is that the only bit of money made on this platform in months is now being removed, and without any reason I am aware of. Disgraceful really, if ot sorted it will be highlighted massively as it is hard enough to get by at times like this without UpWork causing more pain.

Don't be too disappointed jobs get removed. It's a sign that they have some mechanisms to counter spam and scam jobs. There are a lot of constant complaints about why Upwork doesn't remove scam jobs. Those systems do sometimes remove genuine jobs but still are mostly there because of some scam related to that specific description.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths