cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping my Saudi contactors happy

Steve S Member Since: Dec 14, 2014
1 of 3

I am considering hiring my first Saudi Arabian contractor. Up until now I have focused on worker in the Philippines and have been very happy.

With my workers in the Philippines I know some of the little things that make a difference in the relationship. Be that the thirtenth month, praise, etc.. 

I'm a bit in the dark, ok - completely in the dark, when it comes to Saudi Arabia. Other than simple human kindness and resepct, are there any other tips you can offer for keeping the relationship in good order?

Thanks for reading and hopefully replying.

Steve

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
2 of 3

My 2 cents? - Just be professional and project yourself as an honest, considerate, professional client, and then continue to live up to that. To me it even sounds a little patronising to have to learn about someone's national cultural traits in order to keep in with them. Apart from the level of greeting, formality/informality of communication, etc, I wouldn't ever consider dealing with someone in a specific way because of which country they're from. I would take my cues from clues in their correspondence to me, and mirror it as appropriate - but only in as much as it fits within my own personal style.

*** No way a guru, just a chap who posts a lot in the forum, with no links to oDesk management (Heaven forbid   Smiley Wink  ) ***

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
3 of 3

I'm not sure how it is in the Middle East but I find that many of what would westerners call as 'patronising behaviour' is seen as a sweet gesture in other cultures (especially in south east asia and latin america). 

Perhaps the middle ground is to indeed just act professionally and maybe ask the freelancer if he has a list of off-work days for request so you can consider it. Oftentimes, professonal freelancers are freethinkers who don't observe local holidays anyway but they may have certain dates they would like to be in vacation (this info is from my own experience hiring people online).

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS