cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Low Pay for High Quality

Rick M Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
41 of 59

I have to ask: What is wrong with the standard setters at Upwork? Give us 60 Connects that we have to make last through a month when you charge at least 2 Connects per job application? Usually, all those Connects are gone by the 10th of the month, and that’s just for applying for voice jobs I feel I would do a good job at and that pay fairly decent.

Oh, and the pay thing here is absolutely horrible along the lines of any agency’s standards. Like this job: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

And, unfortunately, there are WAY too many jobs like this posted on Upwork. This is a terrible shame. This job poster offers a voice over artist $5, yes, a whole $5, to record about 15 minutes of audio. And this poster Is looking for a fairly professional VO artist to do it.

Are you freaking kidding me?

How can you people at Upwork actually LET this poster advertise for such a ridiculously low-paying, time-taking job? Would ANYBODY at Upwork spend 15 or so minutes recording something that someone – not a good friend or acquaintance -- gave you and edit it and send it to them for a paid job of $5? And let’s not forget the fee that Upwork charges for this. So you would actually get about what? $4?? Oh, even better.

There has got to be some standard you guys set. Some of these horrible-paying jobs are classified as for “Experts.” Stop it!! Just stop it!! The overall professionalism at Upwork is greatly affected by things like this. ANY voice over job should be no less than $50. I don’t even like to turn on my recording equipment for anything less than $30, but sometimes I will, depending on the job.

You Upwork people need to get together and really figure out the Connects situation and stop charging so many of them for low-paying jobs.  Set a minimum budget amount for all jobs, say at least $50. Seriously, if clients have a business, they can afford at least that. Don’t let posters call their jobs “Expert” when it’s low-paying. “Expert” to me means about $400 for a one-minute recording. Otherwise, do NOT label it as “Expert.”

Without some standards, you guys are actually worse now than Freelancer, and they are pretty bad on a lot of levels. The merger of you guys and Elance has not been a good one at all, in my opinion. Things were much better for both of you when you worked as separate entities. You actually both had some standards back then.

Seriously.  Make some refinements to these postings or your total credibility will be in the mud.

I will probably also post this in your Community area to see what others think. I am really bothered by the way your site is operating now. Change, good for once, needs to happen.

Rick Madewell

Voice over artist

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
42 of 59

re: “Expert” to me means about $400 for a one-minute recording. Otherwise, do NOT label it as “Expert.”

Your plea is clearly well-intentioned.

But you're not the only person using Upwork, and your niche is a relatively small niche within the Upwork marketplace. It can't be applied to everybody.

Ace Contributor
Sarah C Member Since: Jan 31, 2016
43 of 59

I submitted a proposal to a high level University that listed their rates at $$$. Perfect subject for me. It entailed 15-20 pages, was research and citing intensive, and they wanted to pay $10 --not an hour -- per paper.  Of course I was contacted immediately and asked if that $300 bid was for JUST ONE PAPER?! Or for the 30 -50 they needed. 

I'm an expert, and I set a fair price. I think the client fainted.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
44 of 59

I think the question you may want to ask yourself is why would a high-level university be soliciting academic papers? And if they were, wouldn't they know the going rate for real academic work? 

Ace Contributor
Sarah C Member Since: Jan 31, 2016
45 of 59

I agree with that assessment. It was billed as a new module for a foreign visiting professor...Shame on me!

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
46 of 59

Well, at least they tried to be creative- plausible deniability.

Sean C Member Since: Apr 20, 2016
47 of 59

What makes me most angry is clients that ignore the amount you have put in your bid. I've just wasted a considerable amount of time with a potential client who asked for bids for 400-500 word blogs. I bid $25 as that is my absolute bottom line and the conversation started. The client went into great lengths about the 1,000 word top-ten lists he wanted writing and how they needed uploading into WordPress with appropriate image and pagination. I smelled a rat when he said that he couldn't create the job and upload payment into Escrow for a few days, so I enquired EXACTLY how much he would be paying for these 400-500 word articles that had now become 1,000 words. The guy came bacl saying he paid $10 for these 1,000 word pieces, so you can imagine how quickly I wished him well and ended contact.

Why on earth would someone expect you to create 1,000 word articles in WordPress with images and pagination for $10 when you've already bid $25 for a 450 word blog?????

Community Leader
Lindsey G Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
48 of 59

You know what really grinds my gears? Projects that say, "Normally I can do this in one hour, so I will only pay you $x to do this and you have only one hour."  I'm sorry, but if that's all it takes, you should just do it yourself in the time it took to list this PoS project you cheapo summabish.

Ace Contributor
Nathalie N Member Since: Apr 26, 2016
49 of 59

Hello!, I am new on upwork and I saw some proposal for $5, it discourage me at first because some people do accept to work at this rate. But I just scroll down to look for other opportunities :-)

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Daniel S Member Since: Apr 2, 2014
50 of 59

The "market" is flooded with people who are bound by their culture to say "yes Sir I can do it" even if they can't. That's why on a $5 budget project you will see many applicants, even if the work deserves at least $200. From June, only those will remain here.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS