cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Pay for High Quality

Sean C Member Since: Apr 20, 2016
51 of 59

What do you mean about June? You mean the change in the Upwork commissions?

Ace Contributor
Michael D Member Since: Jan 29, 2015
52 of 59

Spot on Daniel. There are many people from low-wage countries that say "yes I can" to everything, even though they lack any qualification, expertise or knowledge on the subject. So yes, the client gets his $5 freelancer. But also a poor end result, a bad experience and a lack of interest to work on the Upwork platform again. 

S Romen K Member Since: Jul 24, 2016
53 of 59

This is a great post. Many clients just looks for quality works with undoubtedly offering the mimimum amount which ideally should not be the case. Quality works need experts and an expert has to be paid reasonable good whatever is in the market rate. Upwork is a global platform, and clients should keep in mind that they can get best resouces who are independent and excels in what they do.

Thank you for your post because I have seen such clients post many times with just 10$ and do their job done which will take 10 hours to complete. Does that freelancer who is going to work deserve just 10$ for 10 hours of investment and his/her expertise.

Best Regards

Romen

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
54 of 59

@S Romen K wrote:

Does that freelancer who is going to work deserve just 10$ for 10 hours of investment and his/her expertise.

If a freelancer willingly decides to charge $10 for 10 hours of work, he or she deserves exactly that amount of money.

And the client deserves the outcoming result.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
55 of 59

re: "There are many people from low-wage countries that say 'yes I can' to everything, even though they lack any qualification, expertise or knowledge on the subject."

Ugh. I can't stand these types, regardless of what country they come from. They really are pests.

Unfortunately, I think there's a mindset prevalent among a certain subset of contractors on Upwork that makes them actually think that they can do any job posted on Upwork. They think that whatever they're hired to do, they can just "google it" to look up stuff that they can download and pass off as their own work, or look up how to do things that they don't already know how to do.

That mentality is really the opposite of what Upwork is all about.

Isaac G Member Since: Mar 7, 2017
56 of 59

It is simply funny how some people offer as low as 5 dollars for quality work on upwork, haven't spent over 200k USD in the past 10 years in training as a cardiologist. It's better I go do some charity work in my community than to spend countless hours **Edited for Community Guidelines** for some crazy client.  

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
57 of 59

@Isaac G wrote:

It is simply funny how some people offer as low as 5 dollars for quality work on upwork, haven't spent over 200k USD in the past 10 years in training as a cardiologist. It's better I go do some charity work in my community than to spend countless hours slaving for some crazy client.  

Isaac,

I fully agree.

Community Leader
Pete L Member Since: Oct 22, 2016
58 of 59

I was recently invited to apply for a job.

It turned out that the client had used 4-6 entry level freelancers for a very important piece of work, inevitably she got mixed results.

At 10pm on a Sunday night with her hair on fire, she panicked and tried to get her task completed successfully using more experienced freelancers. Deadline of Monday morning.

The work at this point was confusing with various levels of success, it would have taken me longer to figure out the mess than she was offering for hours --3 hours!!, not only that her communications were so manic it was impossible to keep up.

I proposed $20 per hour,  She offered $15

I declined.

As i went to bed I didn't feel sorry for her, some clients want expert level work but hire entry level becaus of the profit margin. 

Eventually it will come back and bite them in the ass, sooner or later.

Isaac G Member Since: Mar 7, 2017
59 of 59

Good, that serves her right.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS