cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Low-balling, misleading bids on jobs

66810ab0
Christopher B Member Since: Aug 29, 2019
1 of 27

I am rather disappointed that this keeps happening to me on Upwork. I post jobs that ask for an illustrator to do an illustration or two with some specifics, and I ask the artists bidding to provide examples of their work related to what I'm asking. I find an artist or two that I like based on their example artwork, and they've bid at or close to the budgeted price. When I message them about working on the project and point to something in their portfolio that they linked or an example image that they have provided, I'm told that that style or level of work isn't what I would get for the bid and I have to go with something simpler that either wasn't linked or wasn't stipulated in their bid.

Is there a rule that artists must provide an example of the level of the work they will do for the price that they've bid, or at least, honor their bids if they link their entire portfolio and don't specify which part of their portfolio is the level of detail/style that they're offering with their bid? This seems to be very deceptive of artists to do and I've had to deal with it multiple times now.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 27

No, there are no rules governing the minutiae of how artists bid on jobs. Nor is any rule like that actually workable. 

Keep in mind that this is not a site for commissioning artwork. This is a general use site for all types of freelancing work.

I do not have a specific solution for you. But have you tried posting these jobs as hourly contracts?

I have hired a lot of artists on Upwork using hourly contracts, and that seems like it would allow you to sidestep such issues.

66810ab0
3 of 27

The main problem with posting hourly rate jobs is that there's no up-front knowledge of how much it will cost to do the work, so instead of $40/hr. with "maybe 3-5 hours", I'd rather know how much it will cost based on the artist knowing how long it should take to complete an illustration of a certain type.

I feel like a rule stating that you can't tell people to view your portfolio to see the kind of work you do and then say most of it is off-limits for the bid you offered should be obvious and is very workable. Otherwise an artist is intentionally low-balling to get a bid and then either demanding more money to start the job or misleading as to what the artist is offering to do and isn't willing to do for the bid.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 27

re: "I feel like a rule stating that you can't tell people to view your portfolio to see the kind of work you do and then say most of it is off-limits for the bid you offered should be obvious and is very workable."

You may stipulate this rule in your job postings.

Upwork will not be instituting this rule generally.

sergio-soria
Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
5 of 27

In my opinion those who say you should go with something simpler, even when sending a sample that is close to your needs, can't actually do what is in that sample. They just stole it from someone else. They ask for more money knowing that you will probably say no and will go with "something simpler" they can do.

Either they are posing or they are not professional enough to go up front with the real price.

As for the portfolio, if you ask for the whole portfolio of course the pieces featured have different prices because some are more demanding than others.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 27

Sergio S wrote:

In my opinion those who say you should go with something simpler, even when sending a sample that is close to your needs, can't actually do what is in that sample. They just stole it from someone else. They ask for more money knowing that you will probably say no and will go with "something simpler" they can do.

That's kind of an absurd overstatement. It doesn't sound like these illustrators are even saying he should go with something simpler. It sounds like they're saying if he wants something comparable to the sample he's pointing to, it will cost more. Which is perfectly reasonable. Samples are designed to show the client what you're capable of. Where he/she decides to shop within that range is an entirely different question. And, it's often difficult to tell from a job posting exactly what level of detail, etc. the client is looking for.

66810ab0
7 of 27
That’s the problem. If I ask specifically for an artist to link me a sample of work that is like what I am asking for, and they just send me a link to their gallery, to me, the artist is saying their entire gallery is what they’re offering.

I attach samples of what I am looking for and say clearly what I expect. And I feel either artists want the job and feel that they can raise prices after they get the job, or they’re trying to get the job based on art they know will win them the job but they were not willing to do.

Either way, Upwork should be against artists doing this.
tlsanders
Community Guru
8 of 27

Christopher B wrote:
That’s the problem. If I ask specifically for an artist to link me a sample of work that is like what I am asking for, and they just send me a link to their gallery, to me, the artist is saying their entire gallery is what they’re offering.

It sounds like maybe since you're looking for lower-end, cheaper work, it just isn't work that people are showcasing in their profiles. 

66810ab0
9 of 27

Wow, you’re extremely rude.

i just said that I ask for example work based on the request in the job, and the artist links his or her gallery as this example and makes the bid, but you think that I am just not offering enough money?

Then the artist shouldn’t bid with the example of their professional gallery.

tlsanders
Community Guru
10 of 27

Christopher B wrote:

Wow, you’re extremely rude.

i just said that I ask for example work based on the request in the job, and the artist links his or her gallery as this example and makes the bid, but you think that I am just not offering enough money?

Then the artist shouldn’t bid with the example of their professional gallery.

I think that if more than one artist has told you that your budget won't allow for the type of work you're seeing in his/her portfolio, then you're not willing to spend enough money to get the type of work that a skilled artist would typically showcase. Obviously. And I don't think there's anything rude about it.

You're asked for a sample of what your budget will buy, but would you really expect skilled artists who typically do higher-end work to take the time to create a sample at the level you're shopping for just to bid on your job? 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS