cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAKE IT STOP!

ddefdb8f
Active Member

I Posted a job for the first time on upwork yesterday.  It was a simple web site redesign for a client I'm working with, and I included their existing site in my job posting.

 

Today my client contacted me and said "MAKE IT STOP!"  His staff is getting bombarded with unsolicited calls to re-design his web site.

 

I can only assume that desparate upwork freelancers are viewing my job posting (which I canceled yesterday), going to the web site, and trying to contact my client directly (going around me AND upwork).

 

Can someone make this stop!  I'm very disappointed with my experience with upwork so far, and likely will not use it again.

 

-Roger

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Rene K wrote:

Yes, you're right. If you make your job invite-only, it will not be visible by anybody but the invited people. The alternative is to publish it on the platform, which is the default option.

 

I believe that the vast majority of the postings are not invite-only because clients prefer to have people applying rather than chasing freelancers. And they don't know that their post would be indexed by Google.



 NO!! It is pretty crystal clear really

 

there are 3 options

 

upwork only.jpg

 

 

View solution in original post

59 REPLIES 59
Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Roger Z wrote:

I Posted a job for the first time on upwork yesterday.  It was a simple web site redesign for a client I'm working with, and I included their existing site in my job posting.

 

Today my client contacted me and said "MAKE IT STOP!"  His staff is getting bombarded with unsolicited calls to re-design his web site.

 

I can only assume that desparate upwork freelancers are viewing my job posting (which I canceled yesterday), going to the web site, and trying to contact my client directly (going around me AND upwork).

 

Can someone make this stop!  I'm very disappointed with my experience with upwork so far, and likely will not use it again.

 

-Roger


If you want to avoid this in the future, then do not add the link of the client's website to your job offer and place a job offer that is only visible on Upwork and NOT outside. Your ad contained the link to the client's website and probably was shown across the internet. So, it was your fault and not Upwork's. Moreover, I do not understand why you published a job offer and withdrew the next day. I dislike the feature that Upwork's job offers are also shown outside of Upwork and attract a lot of shady people. However, each client can select his target group of his job offer (only inside or also outside of Upwork).


@Margarete M wrote:

@Roger Z wrote:

I Posted a job for the first time on upwork yesterday.  It was a simple web site redesign for a client I'm working with, and I included their existing site in my job posting.

 

Today my client contacted me and said "MAKE IT STOP!"  His staff is getting bombarded with unsolicited calls to re-design his web site.

 

I can only assume that desparate upwork freelancers are viewing my job posting (which I canceled yesterday), going to the web site, and trying to contact my client directly (going around me AND upwork).

 

Can someone make this stop!  I'm very disappointed with my experience with upwork so far, and likely will not use it again.

 

-Roger


If you want to avoid this in the future, then do not add the link of the client's website to your job offer and place a job offer that is only visible on Upwork and NOT outside. Your ad contained the link to the client's website and probably was shown across the internet. So, it was your fault and not Upwork's. Moreover, I do not understand why you published a job offer and withdrew the next day.


I have to piggy back on Margaret here. I know it's frustrating but it is actually against TOS to put the link in the posting.  Just repost the project without the link and then you can send the link to just the people you interview.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Yep, I'm obviously a newbie here, and thought if someone was going to bid on moving a site from one wordpress theme to another, it made sense for them to see the site...  Obviously wrong.

 

I closed down the post for 2 reasons - the client was getting pounded with unsolicited requests, and they decided they may go in a different direction.

 

Now that the job is canceled, and anyone still see it?  If not, I imaging the solicitations will die down after a while.  Just trying to do some damage control at this point.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@Roger Z wrote:

Yep, I'm obviously a newbie here, and thought if someone was going to bid on moving a site from one wordpress theme to another, it made sense for them to see the site...  Obviously wrong.

 

I closed down the post for 2 reasons - the client was getting pounded with unsolicited requests, and they decided they may go in a different direction.

 

Now that the job is canceled, and anyone still see it?  If not, I imaging the solicitations will die down after a while.  Just trying to do some damage control at this point.


Your fault, as explained before. The next time you will know how to do.  

lysis10
Community Guru

The vultures in action. I got them spam filtered in Gmail cuz I stopped paying for privacy on my domain names and they spam my account.

 

I rank your site #1 in the googles, sir

sir, I'm web designer, sir

sir I work for the frees, sir

 

 

yeah, been there many times.

 

 

 

 

petra_r
Community Guru

Chances are the majority were NOT Upwork freelancers, but people who don't even have a profile here....

Regardless of what optimal strategies a client might use to avoid this kind of thing, and regardless of what rules exist regarding inclusion of links or other identifying information in a job post...

 

It is incredibly inappropriate for anybody (real Upwork contractor or otherwise) to contact the client company as was described in the original poster's post.

 

If these were actual Upwork contractors, this kind of thing should lead to suspension or termination of a contractor's account.

 

But if the individuals are not Upwork contractors, but are instead miscreants trolling for potential jobs without going through the proper channels, then there is not much Upwork can do. (Hence the various recommendations about things to do to limit such direct contact attempts.)

ddefdb8f
Active Member

Thank you all for the helpful (and unhelpful "it's your fault, iddiot...") responses.  Sometimes learning is painful, and even more so when it impacts others (my client).

 

It has been a valuable (and not TOO costly) lesson.  Next time I try a new platform I'll troll the message boards a bit BEFORE I get started.

 

Thanks again.

Roger

There is a solution for Upwork to prevent this from happening. Two solutions actually.

 

The light version would be to divide a job post into two sections. Clients would be clearly informed that the first section is to describe their job and not for links or attachments. The second section would be for attachments and URLs.

 

Clients would be clearly informed that whatever is included in the first section would be indexed by Google and that the second section is hidden from the search engines (visible only to people actually connected to Upwork).

 

The second solution would be to display job posts only to people actually connected to Upwork. So no Google indexing of job posts.

 

Yes, there are zombies on Upwork, but at least this would prevent disintermediation by people who are even not on Upwork.

 

I am actually surprised that you can see all the job postings from Google, even when you're not connected to Upwork.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

WHY in the name of who/what ever is Upwork not programmed to prevent any and all RFPs from being displayed across the internet?

 

Rene's solution will obviously work but surely it can't be that hard, time consuming or expensive to add a line of code or whatever is needed to stop the problem now.


@Rene wrote:

 

I am actually surprised that you can see all the job postings from Google, even when you're not connected to Upwork.


 you can ONLY see the ones which the client specifically set to be seen by the entire universe. That is a choice the client makes.

 

 


@Petra R wrote:

@Rene wrote:

 

I am actually surprised that you can see all the job postings from Google, even when you're not connected to Upwork.


 you can ONLY see the ones which the client specifically set to be seen by the entire universe. That is a choice the client makes.

 

 


Yes, you're right. If you make your job invite-only, it will not be visible by anybody but the invited people. The alternative is to publish it on the platform, which is the default option.

 

I believe that the vast majority of the postings are not invite-only because clients prefer to have people applying rather than chasing freelancers. And they don't know that their post would be indexed by Google.

 

How many unsuspicious clients innocently post their websites and run away from Upwork after having been swarmed by zombies from all the sides of the Internet?

 

Blaming clients for bad things that could have been avoided is bad business. 

 

I still support the implementation of one of the two methods that I have suggested. I want Upwork to be easy to use for the clients.

 

I still don't think they will consider it, though.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

Yes, you're right. If you make your job invite-only, it will not be visible by anybody but the invited people. The alternative is to publish it on the platform, which is the default option.

 

I believe that the vast majority of the postings are not invite-only because clients prefer to have people applying rather than chasing freelancers. And they don't know that their post would be indexed by Google.



 NO!! It is pretty crystal clear really

 

there are 3 options

 

upwork only.jpg

 

 

View solution in original post


@Petra R wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

Yes, you're right. If you make your job invite-only, it will not be visible by anybody but the invited people. The alternative is to publish it on the platform, which is the default option.

 

I believe that the vast majority of the postings are not invite-only because clients prefer to have people applying rather than chasing freelancers. And they don't know that their post would be indexed by Google.



 NO!! It is pretty crystal clear really

 

there are 3 options

 

upwork only.jpg

 

 


 

 

Ok, then I stand corrected.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Learned something new today.

 

What might help is if "only Upwork users etc. etc." is the default choice at the top of the list. Unless of course Upwork wants to aggravate all potential clients such as happened to the OP.


@Petra R wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

Yes, you're right. If you make your job invite-only, it will not be visible by anybody but the invited people. The alternative is to publish it on the platform, which is the default option.

 

I believe that the vast majority of the postings are not invite-only because clients prefer to have people applying rather than chasing freelancers. And they don't know that their post would be indexed by Google.



 NO!! It is pretty crystal clear really

 

there are 3 options

 

upwork only.jpg

 

 


Petra is correct, however I will add that this option is under a "Freelancer Preferences" expander which is collapsed by default when you create a new job, with the "Anyone can find and apply to this job" option selected by default. When posting a brand new job, you do have to actively look for this option. The "anyone" is also a little vague and doesn't specifically say that your job will be publicly available and indexed by search engines. So, it is definitely something that could be improved. 

Sigh .... I wish more clients like you would speak up about this stuff - that's just crazy. Knowing about this, I'm actually surprised there haven't been more posts about it from clients.


@Petra R wrote:



 NO!! It is pretty crystal clear really

 

there are 3 options

 

upwork only.jpg

 

 


 That was fast, only two options now.

 

Screenshot_5.png

"Sometimes learning is painful, and even more so when it impacts others (my client)."

 

You also impacted a number of freelancers who wasted 2 connects on your non-job. So thanks for that.


@Christopher B wrote:

"Sometimes learning is painful, and even more so when it impacts others (my client)."

 

You also impacted a number of freelancers who wasted 2 connects on your non-job. So thanks for that.


He said he cancelled the post. The freelancers got their connects back.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS