Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAKE IT STOP!

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
21 of 60

@Christopher B wrote:

"Sometimes learning is painful, and even more so when it impacts others (my client)."

You also impacted a number of freelancers who wasted 2 connects on your non-job. So thanks for that.

He said he cancelled the post. The freelancers got their connects back.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
22 of 60

@Katrina B wrote:

@Christopher B wrote:

"Sometimes learning is painful, and even more so when it impacts others (my client)."

You also impacted a number of freelancers who wasted 2 connects on your non-job. So thanks for that.

He said he cancelled the post. The freelancers got their connects back.  

And even if he had not canceled the job, he is not the culprit here.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
23 of 60

Speaking from experience, it will die down.  I think it took approximately three weeks before the spam dwindled.  In our case, over half of them did have profiles here but I don't know if they were active or not.  

ddefdb8f
Roger Z Member Since: Sep 15, 2016
24 of 60

Thanks Christy - that's encouraging Smiley Happy

This widget could not be displayed.
25 of 60

Those job offers that are available outside of Upwork will attract a lot of strange people who come here and want to set up a profile to get the job they found outside of Upwork. Clients who offer a job want to find a suitable freelancer with an approved profile quickly and it does not help them if freelancers from outside the platform try to apply to this job. I can remember that several freelancers told us that they have been offered a job or see a lot of jobs, but their profile has not been accepted.

versailles
Community Guru
26 of 60

Then Upwork should get rid of the option allowing to make a job post viewable by the Internet. What good could come from this. Upwork is already full of freelancers. Do they really need more?

-----------
27 of 60

@Rene K wrote:

Then Upwork should get rid of the option allowing to make a job post viewable by the Internet. What good could come from this. Upwork is already full of freelancers. Do they really need more?

It is good for the Google ranking like our posts here and to show that there are many jobs on Upwork - in other words for the reputation. However, it will attract new freelancers (good ones and bad ones) and there are already too many freelancers competing for a limited number of job offers.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
28 of 60

I stand by my original statement -

WHY in the name of who/what ever is Upwork not programmed to prevent any and all RFPs from being displayed across the internet?

A buyer (or provider) coming onto the platform to do business - what I believe to be the intent of Upwork - does not bargain for the entire darn universe harassing them.

Giving 1-2-3 or more options is a cop out.  Two choices:

1. Invite only

2. Registered Upwork users only - after all that is why Upwork screens and validates providers.

If I were a buyer and had this happen I would be on a tear to say condemning things - everywhere and loudly. 

Am I furious?  Better believe it .... and my money is on a lot of once-potential buyers are as well.

@ Margarete. while I believe you are correct about Upwork's intent, building a reputation and numbers does not allow spam .... and this, in essense, is spam.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
29 of 60

We post private only jobs now.  I'm not going to cast blame on anyone because, ultimately, this was our error but I never want to go through that again.  It was non-stop.  They spammed my client via LinkedIn, WhatsApp, email, Skype and even managed to track down his cell number.  They figured out I worked for him and would tell him I referred them to him.  Or, conversely, they told me he had referred them to me.  

It was a mess lol.  

versailles
Community Guru
30 of 60

In the light of what Jennifer D and Christy said, fixing this would be a priority. By fixing I mean either making the option that prevents the posts to be published on the Internet, the default choice, or even better, dropping this option.

I can't imagine how many clients Upwork is losing because of this, clients who don't bother to come here on the forums to relate their misadventures. 

-----------
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS