Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAKE IT STOP!

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
31 of 60

How long did it take before you and your client were able to laugh about this. Christy?  😉

FWIW - the wording "anyone can see ..." is duplicitous at best.  There is absolutely zero implication this includes the entire internet -

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
32 of 60

@Wendy C wrote:

I stand by my original statement -

WHY in the name of who/what ever is Upwork not programmed to prevent any and all RFPs from being displayed across the internet?

A buyer (or provider) coming onto the platform to do business - what I believe to be the intent of Upwork - does not bargain for the entire darn universe harassing them.

Giving 1-2-3 or more options is a cop out.  Two choices:

1. Invite only

2. Registered Upwork users only - after all that is why Upwork screens and validates providers.

If I were a buyer and had this happen I would be on a tear to say condemning things - everywhere and loudly. 

Am I furious?  Better believe it .... and my money is on a lot of once-potential buyers are as well.

@ Margarete. while I believe you are correct about Upwork's intent, building a reputation and numbers does not allow spam .... and this, in essense, is spam.

Wendy, FWIW, I have just come to head- to-head with CS on a massive security issue vis à vis public job postings. They finally recognized, just a little too late, that there was a possibility of error on the client's part (perfectly true) but Upwork does not recognize responsibility and  thanked me kindly for helping to preserve the integrityof the site . . .

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
33 of 60

@Rene K wrote:

Then Upwork should get rid of the option allowing to make a job post viewable by the Internet. What good could come from this. Upwork is already full of freelancers. Do they really need more?

Agreed! I am a little disappointed to learn this happens. Though I am not surprised. I haven't listed a job here yet, but I had this problem outside of Upwork. I had to change Internet hosts and wanted to move my domain from my previous host. I had to make my Whois public for a day. Man...

For months after I received unsolicited phone calls, email messages, etc from various web related companies offering SEO, web development, proofreading (well in this case profreeding as there were many typos!), etc. Each detailed everything they thought I was doing wrong and how my site would fail if I didn't hire them. Each had a lot of English errors. Oh, I still get the spam about how they bought my domain and I will need to pay them $1000 to keep it (never mind I had only just renewed it and it was for more than a year). Thankfully the phone calls did stop (though I stopped answering calls with blocked caller ID). I still get spam email sometimes, but it is hard to say if it came from the public Whois or another source now (though it definitely started that day). 

To the OP, sorry this happened to your client! I guess now you know hoe to prevent it on this platform in the future. On other platforms, I guess you would need to find out whether they index their job listings or not. I tend to think that you probably should just avoid listing the URL until you identify a few contractors you would like to talk with. As a freelancer, I like knowing what site it is. But I understand the need to avoid attracting these spammers.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
34 of 60

@Samantha S wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

Then Upwork should get rid of the option allowing to make a job post viewable by the Internet. What good could come from this. Upwork is already full of freelancers. Do they really need more?

Agreed! I am a little disappointed to learn this happens. Though I am not surprised. I haven't listed a job here yet, but I had this problem outside of Upwork. I had to change Internet hosts and wanted to move my domain from my previous host. I had to make my Whois public for a day. Man...

For months after I received unsolicited phone calls, email messages, etc from various web related companies offering SEO, web development, proofreading (well in this case profreeding as there were many typos!), etc. Each detailed everything they thought I was doing wrong and how my site would fail if I didn't hire them. Each had a lot of English errors. Oh, I still get the spam about how they bought my domain and I will need to pay them $1000 to keep it (never mind I had only just renewed it and it was for more than a year). Thankfully the phone calls did stop (though I stopped answering calls with blocked caller ID). I still get spam email sometimes, but it is hard to say if it came from the public Whois or another source now (though it definitely started that day). 

To the OP, sorry this happened to your client! I guess now you know hoe to prevent it on this platform in the future. On other platforms, I guess you would need to find out whether they index their job listings or not. I tend to think that you probably should just avoid listing the URL until you identify a few contractors you would like to talk with. As a freelancer, I like knowing what site it is. But I understand the need to avoid attracting these spammers.

lol sometimes I like to mess with them. They use American names like "Adam" or "Jackie" and then you respond and it's Mohammed or something like that. So I ask them why they signed their original name as Adam and then switched it to Mohammed, and they tell me it's a nickname. lol

If I'm feeling especially fun for the day, I'll tell them to send me their info and then I report them to Google for selling links and spamming. 

The last spam email I got, they told me that they have 140+ programmers at their disposal. Lulz. Prolly an Upwork agency.

anima9
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
35 of 60

I'm just here to tell you I lol'd so hard when I imagined your client screaming "MAKE IT STOP!" while zombie freelancers try to invade his home asking for a job.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
36 of 60

Natasha just posted this so a question for a moderator, please. 

Is this correction in-stone and used throughout all new RFPs  ... or is it being 'beta tested'?

That was fast, only two options now.

Screenshot_5.png

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
37 of 60

I have noticed an uptick in the number of job listings that specifically mention not to contact them off-platform. 

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
38 of 60

I do not have this option so it's may not be across the board yet.

@Wendy C wrote:

Natasha just posted this so a question for a moderator, please. 

Is this correction in-stone and used throughout all new RFPs  ... or is it being 'beta tested'?

That was fast, only two options now.

Screenshot_5.png

wendy_writes
Community Guru
39 of 60

Thanks, Christy.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
40 of 60

Thumbs Up @ you, Nichola ... I'm sure it was no easy task ....

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS