Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAKE IT STOP!

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
51 of 60

I do hope that Upwork reconsiders how the issue is dealt with - i.e., removes, in total, any possibility of RFPs being shared with all and sundry via Google, etc.

As a buyer, I would find it a complete breach of trust and confidentiality. As a provider, I feel the same.

A huge thank you to the OP who brought this to our attention ...............................................................................................................

................................ as I'm sure the thread will fade off into the sunset for more trivial things.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
52 of 60

Hi All,

I just wanted to provide an update that we'll be improving visibility settings to make sure it's clearer for the client who's posting a job.

Also, I would like to confirm that for Enterprise clients, the visibility defaults to Talent Cloud freelancers.

~ Valeria
Upwork
elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
53 of 60

Maybe I am daft - but I don't really understand why the option "Anyone can find and apply ..." even exists.

Is that to get people to sign up with Upwork? As in, they find a job on Google etc. that sounds good but to apply they must create an account first?

It seems like a present for the countless farmers who regularly supply their contact details in their RFPs and come back with new accounts within 24 hours after having been shut down by CS. Selecting the first of the 3 options means that everybody out there can respond to their postings directly. Great. Now I see how that works.

This set-up enables circumvention.

P.S. As for the Enterprise clients' settings - my Enterprise client seems to follow a different strategy altogether: to NOT make their jobs visible to current members of the PTC and instead hire new people on every job. Go figure.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
54 of 60

Can we know what those visibilty settings will look like?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
55 of 60

Virginia,

We'll be providing an update later this month once the team has completed their research and development.

~ Valeria
Upwork
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
56 of 60

Allowing a job post to be visible on the Internet seems really silly to me, and completely useless. It would be OK if it was only the job title and let say the first sentence, so you have to create an account if you want to see more. That could serve the marketing purposes.

But allowing clients to have their whole posts visible on the Internet can only serve disintermediation, nothing else. It brings absolutely no benefits to Upwork. Nor to the clients.

Sometimes I don't understand Upwork's business decisions at all.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
wendy_writes
Community Guru
57 of 60

+1 .... and if I could add a few gazilion zeros to that I would.

Rene and Ela are completely correct.  Having the entire RFP floating around Google will do everything negative as they have all ready mentioned.

This widget could not be displayed.
58 of 60

@Wendy C wrote:

+1 .... and if I could add a few gazilion zeros to that I would.

Rene and Ela are completely correct.  Having the entire RFP floating around Google will do everything negative as they have all ready mentioned.

Moreover, this also helps all those who never intend to hire on Upwork to improve their Google ranking as soon as they publish the company name and the url of their website.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
59 of 60

Talk about lousy choice for SEO ...... Man Tongue

60 of 60

@Wendy C wrote:

Talk about lousy choice for SEO ...... Man Tongue

One example: a weird company specialized on academic fraud (of course I flagged it days ago, but some people may not be qualified to identify what academic fraud is) included in their job offer the link to their website. Of course they do not intend to hire on Upwork, but they abuse Upwork to find freelancers and at the same time they improve their visibility in the Google search results.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS