cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make the budget on fixed prices optional for clients!

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
1 of 20

As a client I am really not happy by the fact that I have to specify a budget on my fixed price jobs posts. That's for two reasons, first I don't necessarily want to disclose my budget. In B&M business negotiations, I was never forced to disclose my budget.

The second reason is that sometimes I have no frikkin idea about how much a task should cost. I don't like using low amounts as placeholder budget since some freelancers may disregard the job thinking it's my actual budget. I don't like using high amounts since I don't want the freelancers to align their price to it, even if they would have charged less otherwise.

Freelancers know their business and their domain of expertise. They know what they should charge for a job, providing it's well described and I try as much as I can to give enough information in the job posting.

Let them do the pricing, make the budget optional!

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
26427aa6
Beverly T Member Since: Jan 6, 2016
2 of 20

I agree. I don't like how Upwork handles the fixed bid work, so I just post it as hourly and ask the freelancer to tell me how much they would charge for fixed bid. This has worked for a one-off item.

But I have an ongoing freelancer who would rather do fixed bid, but it's way too much for me to handle administratively. I wish there was a better way.

8162751b
Evelyn S Member Since: Oct 14, 2019
3 of 20
Beverly,
I am trying to place a job with up work and only can place a fixed price bid. I want to place an hourly budget instead but there is no way to do so. Thought you might have a suggestion.
Thank you,
eve
bstojadinovic
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
4 of 20

Welcome to Upwork,  Evelyn!

Please check this help article with great instructions on how to Post a Job on Upwork and how to set it up as an Hourly Project.

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
spiderbyte87
Community Leader
Aaron H Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
5 of 20

The only thing that matters is what it's worth to you. If you post your budget and the quality of bidding freelancers is too low, increase your budget and try again. Alternatively you could browse freelancers and find a few who do the level of work you're after at a rate you're comfortable with and invite them to bid.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
6 of 20

Rene,

I appreciate the requirement. It forces the buyer to think about what the job is worth to them. There aren't that many jobs in translation from English into German that I can't take a look at all of them. But, if there is a client posting a job with 1200 words and a budget of $10 without mentioning that it is a placeholder budget I know I need not bother writing a quotation. Let him hire the monkeys he's paying peanuts for. (There was a job posting from Israel recently at this level). Most of these low level clients never even realise that they have purchased gibberish and even give 5 star ratings.

On the other hand a couple of days ago there was a client asking for a manual for die cutting machines to be translated offering a budget of $1500 for 10,000 words. An extraordinary high price on Upwork but reasonable as soon as one disregards Upwork's price level. Yes, I quoted at $1500 without much hope of acquiring the job though. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 20

There are work-arounds to the current system, which have been mentioned here and discussed extensively.

But it still amounts to having a system which frustrates clients and contractors alike. 

I see very little downside to allowing an option for clients to post a fixed-price job without specifying a dollar amount. So often the dollar amounts posted are placeholders or wild guesses or meaningless anyway. Let clients lost a job for which they don't know roughly what they want to pay, and thus remove the guesswork about this issue.

This will put responsibility on the contractors to discern between jobs which should be hourly, and for which they need to tell the client that. But this is ready the case.

jmeyn
Community Guru
8 of 20

@Preston H wrote:

There are work-a rounds to the current system, which have been mentioned here and discussed extensively.

But it still amounts to having a system which frustrates clients and contractors alike. 

I see very little downside to allowing an option for clients to post a fixed-price job without specifying a dollar amount. So often the dollar amounts posted are placeholders or wild guesses or meaningless anyway. Let clients lost a job for which they don't know roughly what they want to pay, and this remove the guesswork about this issue.

This will put responsibility on the contractors to discern between jobs which should be hourly, and for which they need to tell the client that. But this is ready the case.

Preston, 

The main downside affects newbies. I'm long enough on the platform to know that bidding on jobs from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Phlippines is useless for me. With jobs from Indonesia and China there sometimes is a chance. On Elance we could view the price at which the job was awarded, we can't on Upwork hence we never learn something about the price level or specific regions. If the client is forced to enter a price (or a price range) this definitely helps in not wasting time on proposals that will never be accepted. In translation clients have a pretty good idea about what they are willing to pay, this may be different in your area of expertise.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 20

Joachim, everything you said seems to be from a contractor's perspective.

Clients are the ones who create job postings. This change is one that should be made for clients.

It will benefit contractors, although less directly.

it will make things more challenging for newbie contractors, occasionally. But if they keep working and figuring things out, they won't be newbies any more.

jmeyn
Community Guru
10 of 20

Preston,

True I viewed it from the contractors perspective. We are paying for it :-). I do agree - before you say so - in reality it's the client who's paying, via the contractor.  Still, if the client posts a realistic budget he has a better chance to receive realistic quotations. Even from a clients perspective, if the client has a budget of 2 Cents per word it doesn't make sense to him having to weed through all the proposals offering 4, 5 or more Cents per word. On the other hand, if he has a budget of 8 Cents per word he will receive the low-ballers' proposals anyway. Without mentioning a budget the clients will swamped with proposals even more.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS