cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make the budget on fixed prices optional for clients!

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
11 of 20

Joachim,

You are mentioning realistic budgets but I assure you that in some cases as a client I have really no idea what the cost for the job should be. I could spend hours researching the topic but I'm hiring people with know-how so they can do something that I can't. Not to learn their industry.

As for mentioning that the budget is a placeholder, sometimes clients just forget to do so and use low amounts such $5 without even thinking about it. And a lot of qualified freelancers disregard their jobs.

I won well-paid jobs posted with a $5 budget because I took the chance to send a bid.

And again, as a client I really feel frustrated by this unnecessary requirement.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
12 of 20

Rene,

I've had similar situations, needing some programming. Having no idea how long it takes and how much it costs I approached it from the other end. What can I save in <some time span> if I had some software to do a certain task. From this I can derive what I'm willing to spend. Often enough manpower proved to be cheaper than software.

On the other hand there will always be e.g. software for which you can't say what it's worth. I've sold (and bought) CRM systems. I haven't ever found somebody being able to tell me how much I save or gain by using a CRM system. Companies still have to set a budget if they want to use one. And, I still use one myself (a free one).

A different matter is that companies, especially in Germany, don't want to talk about their budget. A common client request in telemarketing is that the call agent ought to ask the prospect about the budget. Well, forget it in Germany. If they know it, they won't tell, if they don't have one they want to learn something about the benefits of the product (expressed in savings). If the savings are high enough there will be a budget where there wasn't one before.

What I agree is that there ought to be a range or an upper limit.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
13 of 20

Joachim,

Exactly the same here in France. We don't disclose budgets. 

And for the job posted on Upwork, I need some design done. I posted this placeholder budget, stating that it was a placeholder budget, and funny enough, almost all the proposals exactly matches this budget!

My feeling as a client is that either my budget was too high and applicants are happy to overbid, or my budget is too low and they feel they need to underbid. None of which is satisfactory. 

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
jmeyn
Community Guru
14 of 20

@Rene K wrote:

Joachim,

Exactly the same here in France. We don't disclose budgets. 

And for the job posted on Upwork, I need some design done. I posted this placeholder budget, stating that it was a placeholder budget, and funny enough, almost all the proposals exactly matches this budget!

My feeling as a client is that either my budget was too high and applicants are happy to overbid, or my budget is too low and they feel they need to underbid. None of which is satisfactory. 

Rene,

But working without a budget won't solve that problem. Then the first to send a proposal provides the setting. You can easily see that if you have a job posting in which a contractor overbids by a high amount. Others will stay below his proposal but bid higher than they normally do. If I have enough spare connects I always enjoy bidding at a ridiculously high price on RFPs from India/Bangladesh/Pakistan, if I can be among the first two or three. Normally the job is reposted a couple of days later 🙂

BTW, what I'm missing from a contractors point of view is the possibilty to ask questions before bidding. Way too often we have RFPs without clearly specified deliverables. On Elance we could report this and more often than not, the job was removed or the poster received a notification to correct his RFP.

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
15 of 20

@Joachim M wrote:

I'm long enough on the platform to know that bidding on jobs from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Phlippines is useless for me.

That is very true, but on the otherhand they know how much the the first world countries pay for those jobs to the workers from their countries.

As far as job pay rate go (based on the postings) I would rank US, Canada, and lump (UK, EU, Australia, Newzeland) and then Indian Subcontinent.

Now as far as not disclosing the budget I am sure it has something do with culture - playing very close to vest.  While in US in it is believed that if you want to dance, you have to show a little.  You just can't sit like a lamp post and expect people to come to you.  Here, let us say I go to a furniture showroom, the sales person would immediately ask," what price range are you looking to buy that bed room set?"  That gives them idea about which section of their massive showroom store has that kind of furniture.

faa184dc
scott s Member Since: Jan 7, 2016
16 of 20

wish management would pay attention to this post.

af8ffeb1
CRE8 m Member Since: Dec 12, 2016
17 of 20

Same, it's just ridiculous that we are forced to input a budget. Used to be better on Elance.

heartsong2
Deborah S Member Since: Jan 28, 2018
18 of 20

I completely agree. It is a big barrier to me posting a fixed price job if I have to decide ahead of time what the price will be. I want to get competitive bids. How can I get competitive bids if I state the price ahead of time?

I'm working on posting a fixed price job right now and I don't want to go through with it because of this requirement. 

Requiring clients to post a budget is a big disincentive to them making the job post at all.

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
19 of 20

@Deborah S wrote:

I want to get competitive bids. How can I get competitive bids if I state the price ahead of time?

I'm working on posting a fixed price job right now and I don't want to go through with it because of this requirement. 

OH you will get competitive bids.   Also, if you need something done You will post the job (I am certain).  You know that you can get the work done here cheaply.Smiley Happy

jmeyn
Community Guru
20 of 20

@Deborah S wrote:

I completely agree. It is a big barrier to me posting a fixed price job if I have to decide ahead of time what the price will be. I want to get competitive bids. How can I get competitive bids if I state the price ahead of time?

Requiring clients to post a budget is a big disincentive to them making the job post at all.

Deborah,

You will get competitive bids, no worry. Also keep in mind the difference between a fixed price job and an hourly job. With a fixed price job the freelancer owes the result you want to have. With an hourly job the freelancer just owes you the hours. You don't like the result and return it, the hours will keep piling up. Not so with a fixed price job.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS