cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Management of Amazon Account - Low level of activity from freelancer

Highlighted
John M Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
1 of 13

I have had a contract running for approx 5 weeks managing my Amazon account.The first 2-3 weeks saw the level of activity of the freelancer at around 8 minutes in every 10 minute period.

In the last 2 weeks the level of activity has dropped to approx 2 minutes in every 10 minute period.

The tasks being completed haven't changed and whilst I want to be fair to the freelancer I feel that they are taking advantage of the situation and charging for work not done. 

It is difficult to monitor exactly how much work they are doing. I have asked the freelancer why this has happened but I have not received a satisfactory response. I have had a response listing all that he has done but not had an answer to my specific questions.

Should I cut ties and move on?

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 13
Highlighted
3 of 13

I have had a contract running for approx 5 weeks.The first 2-3 weeks saw the level of activity of the freelancer at around 8 minutes in every 10 minute period.

In the last 2 weeks the level of activity has dropped to approx 2 minutes in every 10 minute period.

The tasks being completed haven't changed and whilst I want to be fair to the freelancer I feel that they are taking advantage of the situation and charging for work not done. 

It is difficult to monitor exactly how much work they are doing. I have asked the freelancer why this has happened but I have not received a satisfactory response. I have had a response listing all that he has done but not had an answer to my specific questions.

Should I cut ties and move on?

Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
4 of 13

This is hard to answer without knowing more about the work being performed. Is it possible that the freelancer has grown more efficient with time (for example, had to look things up in the early days, which would result in added keyboard activity, but has developed a better rhythm now?)

Is the work of a nature where some of it would not result in keystrokes/mouse clicks (hand sketching, reading materials, watching video, taking notes on paper, etc.)? If not, 2 is a suspiciously low level of activity. But, the change isn't necessarily suspicious in itself, as people do devise better methods as they grow accustomed to a task.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
5 of 13

Are the screenshots showing reasonable progress?  Sometimes the activity meter is going to be low, such as at the start of a new run (first starting the tracker) or when reading for research, etc., but the screenshots will tell a clear tale.  If not, then it's time to see if you and the freelancer can come to an agreement or if perhaps you need to part ways on the project.

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Highlighted
6 of 13

Thank you for your comments. 

The activity level was at around 8 min in every 10 min for the first 2 weeks of the contract. I can't see how the tasks have changed.

It is difficult to measure progress as the job is managing an Amazon account which is quite complex and diverse and results would be measured over a 3-6 month period.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 13

You need to decide. Is the extra hours worth it? Are they making $3/hour and now they are milking the clock for an extra couple of hours but they are knocking it out of the ballpark as far as what they are doing? Finding a good freelancer that's reliable isn't easy on Upwork.

Is the work shoddy but now it's more money? Then that's a different story. 

Need to focus on the end product. If you're still making money but they are charging you an extra $100 but knocking it out of the ballpark and making you money, well then is it really worth it? Of course if they are charging you more but the work is meh or they are data entry and costing you too much, then I get it.

Stop focusing on screenshots and focus on the end product and the value it gives you.

Highlighted
8 of 13

I wouldn't say the work is shoddy as it is too early to say. The work is managing an Amazon account so I see it as a long term project whereby the results are measured over a longer time frame - 3-6 months.

I have several freelancers who have been working with me for over 2 years and I like to work with people I can trust. This situation has led me to question the integrity of the freelancer but I want to ask for some other people's views before I decide what to do.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 13

@John M wrote:

I wouldn't say the work is shoddy as it is too early to say. The work is managing an Amazon account so I see it as a long term project whereby the results are measured over a longer time frame - 3-6 months.

I have several freelancers who have been working with me for over 2 years and I like to work with people I can trust. This situation has led me to question the integrity of the freelancer but I want to ask for some other people's views before I decide what to do.

ah, this is one of those Amazon SEO expart things. I see. Yeah, you're stuck with those people then, so I guess switching from one to the other doesn't make a difference. So ok go for it or don't. Whatever you want.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 13

re: "Should I cut ties and move on?"

Why wouldn't you?

In my experience, this kind of question is usually only asked by clients who hire a single freelancer for important tasks.

It often makes no sense to hire only one freelancer. When a client hires more freelancers for a short period of time, it makes it possible to compare them and then choose the best to continue working with.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS