cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May I create an account as a client if I already have an account as a freelancer

Evgeniy S Member Since: Aug 8, 2017
1 of 6

I am a freelancer and I have an account in upwork as a freelancer. My main skills are Magento development. I want to make my own site using technology that I didn't work before with (for example laravel).
I'd want to create an account as a client to hire freelancer for this. 
May I do it? I need to know if itcontradict the upwork rules and if my freelancer profile will be blocked for it?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

You absolutely CAN have a client account and hire freelancers for your own personal purposes.

there are a few things to bear in mind:

Make sure you have a payment method that will be acceptable. Essentially you need a proper (!) credit card or a card backed verified PayPal account.

do not outsource work you win here, or at least only on fixed rate contracts and only with the client's permission. 

Do not hire any people you are in any way connected with (friends, relatives, housemates, neighbors).....

Do not create a new account. Add a client-side to your existing account by going to your settings, scrolling right down to the very bottom, and use the "create a company" function.

Evgeniy S Member Since: Aug 8, 2017
3 of 6

Thanks. Will think about it.

Also wanted to ask why can't I hire friends or relatives?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 6

re: "Also wanted to ask why can't I hire friends or relatives?"

Because hiring friends or relatives is something freelancers do as a way to circumvent Upwork's rules and procedures.

Rather than getting hired by an actual client and getting evaluated and scored based on the quality of their work, a scoundrel freelancer will get hired by a friend or relative who will use these hirings to inflate the freelancer's work history and Job Success Score.

Upwork doesn't want people manipulating and cheating the system.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 6

@Evgeniy S wrote:

Also wanted to ask why can't I hire friends or relatives?

Tell me just ONE genuine reason why on earth you would want them to pay a big chunk of what they earn if you could just tell them to do it and pay them in person.

the only reasons are feedback building, money laundering, rating boosting and other things which will result in everyone's accounts suspended and likely banned for life.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 6

Hi Evgeniy,

As other already stated, you can create a client profile on your existing account and hire freelancers to help you complete your website. Please follow the steps from this Help article, post a job as explained here, verify your payment method, review the proposals you receive you receive and hire a freelancer to complete this work for you.

You can also opt for getting assistance from our dedicated team, helping new client post their jobs and invite best talent for their specific project. I'd also strongly advise you to review the client resources we created and made available here

Let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS