🐈
» Forums » Support » Merge 2 accounts
Page options
kararam
Community Member

Merge 2 accounts

Hello

I have a problem with my accounts. I have a client on Upwork. Then I open a new freelancer account. THen I read terms and now I want marge my 2 accounts.  Is it possible? Or I should delete my client account and open it through my freelancer account?

Thanks

Aram

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aram,

Yes, you can close your Client account and create a new Client account on your existing Freelancer account. You can be a Client and a Freelancer using the same account. You'll use the same account to log in to Upwork, but the two parts of your account will be kept entirely separate. You'll be able to easily switch between the two as needed. To create a Client account on your existing account, please follow up instructions in this help article.

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aram,

Yes, you can close your Client account and create a new Client account on your existing Freelancer account. You can be a Client and a Freelancer using the same account. You'll use the same account to log in to Upwork, but the two parts of your account will be kept entirely separate. You'll be able to easily switch between the two as needed. To create a Client account on your existing account, please follow up instructions in this help article.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Bojan.

A change of terminology might be in order. It's confusing to talk about  a "client account" and a "freelancer account" both being the same account, or parts of the same account. Perhaps they could be called the "client role" and the "freelancer role" of one account.

Hi Richard,

I understand where you're coming from with this suggestion. However, based on my experience, "account" and "profile" are the most commonly used terms when referring to the freelancer/client/agency contexts. Our users are coming from different backgrounds, in which different terms are used to describe the same phenomenon and same terms are used to refer to different ones, we exercise additional caution and try to clarify as clearly as possible what a user is referring to and what we're describing in our responses.

I can see how "role" can be less confusing for some users since account is referring to the user's Upwork account in general, but also how, due to the sparse use of the term in this context on Upwork and elsewhere (judging from my personal experience) can create confusion for other users. We do appreciate your feedback and look forward to a productive exchange of ideas on this subject, which we'll take into consideration and also share with our product team. 

~ Vladimir
Upwork
e1e62082
Community Member

Hi,

Good day. I`m having same issue. If I close my current client account and open a new client account with my freelancer email address, can I transfer the client and work histories to this new profile? 

Rhesvaari:

You can't open a new login account.

If you already have an account, you need to use that account.

It sounds like that is what you want to do. Clearly the terminology can be confusing.

If you opened a second login account for use in acting as a client, then you need to work with Upwork customer support to close that second login account. You can ask them to move things from a second login account into your first login account. There is no user-interface tool for doing so.

One key to understanding this is you will have only ONE USERNAME and password.

When you log into Upwork, you use a single username/password pair. Within that, you may have a freelancer "role" and a separate client "role." Which may also be referred to as a client "company" or a "client account."

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rkesvaari, 

I would like to confirm that we will not be able to merge the old and new accounts from our end. I was unable to find your freelancer account, so if you are yet to create a freelancer account, I would suggest that you create it from this account by following the steps here.

~ Avery
Upwork
jeaneze
Community Member

I have a sligh tunique situation  - I am not sure whether bothmy accounts are teams or agency. Can anyone help please?

Hi Jean,

I checked your account and see that this is a freelancer account. You may check this also by clicking on your photo once you log in to your account. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
379d3317
Community Member

Hello All,

I have 1 account that has 2 client profiles within it. Most of my hired freelancers are in one profile, but one of them is in the other profile. I would like to merge the two profiles so that I can have all of my hires in one place. Is this possible and how can I get this done?

Thank you!

Hi Qiana,

I see that you were able to get in contact with our support team, and a support ticket has been set up with your concern. One of the team members has sent an email with further instructions on proceeding with your request. You may continue coordinating with the team through that ticket here or by email if you need further assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths