🐈
» Forums » Clients » Message to all applicants
Page options
57e9f80e
Community Member

Message to all applicants

Hi People! I'm new to Upwork and have a couple of projects on the go. 

I'm about to close one of them but want to send a general message of appreciation out to everyone that applied.  There were some very good responses 

Has anyone got any tips

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Mike M wrote:

Hi Md! 

I'm fine thanks and hope you are too!

Appreciate your comments.  The particular use case we have in mind is 

• We have a number of offers for a particular work offer
  • We have angaged freelancers 
  • We now need to close off the project 
  • The current arrangement allows us to send just "positions have been filled" message without detail 
  • It's just there that we would be able to include a note of thanks to tall the applicants, of appreciation for their effots of making an offer

We do understand the need to restricting the possibliity of contacting any freelancer at any time 

Your further thoughts welcome 

MIke

Mike, I think it's very kind of you to want to send a thank you to all freelancers that applied to your job posting.

You worry too much about it, though. Look at it from the freelancer's point of view: how much would he appreciate that kind of feedback? I would not feel better about myself or the world if I got constant "thanks but no thanks" messages, I'd rather be hired and have a contract, or not be hired and never hear back from them. I don't need reminders that I haven't been hired.

If you want to reply to a freelancer that was not hired, you should give him the reasons for it, so he can learn from the experience. That way you don't send a generic message to everyone, and actually do something helpful. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
scientistbhoot
Community Member

Hi Mike,

How are you? I am a freelancer and what I learned from the community, regarding this matter is, there is no option to send same msg to multiple freelancers at the same time. I don't know the reason why this feature is not available at Upwork but I can guess, It has good aspects but there are bad sides too. And the percentage of bad sides are higher than the good sides. And I think people will use it for immoral purposes more often. And we freelancers do not wanted to be a victim of this. Because there is a great lack of good people in this world, you know that. And if upwork made this feature available then the level of spam will increase dramatically. Thats what I think.

I am also waiting to here from others about this topics.

Thank you,

Md.

Hi Md! 

• The current arrangement allows us to send just "positions have been filled" message without detail 
  • It's just there that we would be able to include a note of thanks to tall the applicants, of appreciation for their effots of making an offer

We do understand the need to restricting the possibliity of contacting any freelancer at any time 

MIke

@Mike M wrote:

Hi Md! 

MIke

Mike, I think it's very kind of you to want to send a thank you to all freelancers that applied to your job posting.

You worry too much about it, though. Look at it from the freelancer's point of view: how much would he appreciate that kind of feedback? I would not feel better about myself or the world if I got constant "thanks but no thanks" messages, I'd rather be hired and have a contract, or not be hired and never hear back from them. I don't need reminders that I haven't been hired.

If you want to reply to a freelancer that was not hired, you should give him the reasons for it, so he can learn from the experience. That way you don't send a generic message to everyone, and actually do something helpful. 

I understand your point of view but as a freelancer, I am always surprised that clients do not bother to even write a thank you note to the people who applied for the project but are not hired. I really would appreciate it if they did it more often.  

Kind regards

Melinda

petra_r
Community Member

@Melinda W wrote:

I understand your point of view but as a freelancer, I am always surprised that clients do not bother to even write a thank you note to the people who applied for the project but are not hired. I really would appreciate it if they did it more often. 

Really?  What can you buy with a "Thanks but No Thanks" note?

Personally I'd rather not. I forget about any proposal / request to quote the second it was sent.

Reading "I didn't hire you, sorry" notes would just use up time that could be more profitably spent doing work for people who did hire me.

Mike,  first, I commend your attitude.  It is smart from a business point of view - along with being polite.

You might want to send notes to the freelancers whose proposals made a positive impact; you might want to get hold of them for other jobs. In my experience this is SOP for serious 'buyers'. 

A simple "thank you for your interest; I've hired someone else but would like to keep your info on file for possible future work" will earn you respect and - most important - a sense of appreciation.  I've found that buyers who send this type of note are serious.  And yes, I've ended up working with a good percentage of them after the fact.

Yes - have seen significant value in cultures where all efforts are
appreciated and valued - whether they are beginner or advanced. Our
experience is that if we treat everyone well in their terms and then the
people we work with will often turn even their failures into good results

Thanks very much for your comment
Latest Articles
Learning Paths