🐈
» Forums » Clients » Missing Deadline and unsatisfactory work from...
Page options
84a38102
Community Member

Missing Deadline and unsatisfactory work from freelancer

Hi,

I hired three freelancers for content writing, One did an excellent job and i have approved her payment.

The second freelancer requested more time as claims she has fallen ill. I have allowed her more time. She has now missed her second deadline. Now she is asking or even more time as she claims the job is not simple. 

The third freelancer submitted crappy work and the article was not rewritten so pretty much as the original. I have canceled his contract. 

I would like to know how i can get back my money. I will prefer to rehire my first freelancer. 

The experience with upwork is bad!

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
84a38102
Community Member

just to add one. the third freelancer asked for more money than originally agreed!

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Reena,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had. To learn more about how to request a refund, check out this Help Article. Once the contract is closed you will be able to provide truthful feedback as well. If you have any additional questions, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

thanks Goran

a_lipsey
Community Member

Reena K wrote:

Hi,

I hired three freelancers for content writing, One did an excellent job and i have approved her payment.

The second freelancer requested more time as claims she has fallen ill. I have allowed her more time. She has now missed her second deadline. Now she is asking or even more time as she claims the job is not simple. 

The third freelancer submitted crappy work and the article was not rewritten so pretty much as the original. I have canceled his contract. 

I would like to know how i can get back my money. I will prefer to rehire my first freelancer. 

The experience with upwork is bad!

thanks

Fire the second freelancer, request the funds be refunded. If you canceled the contract on the 3rd freelancer you likely requested a refund already. If your 2nd freelancer missed both deadlines on a fixed price/milestone contract, you will likely be able to get some amount refunded and use it to rehire the first. If these were hourly contracts, then you've paid for hours worked versus deliverables, so a refund will not be so easy. 

The contracts were all fixed price . I have already cancel the contract. The question is will i be getting my refund. 

Reena K wrote:

The contracts were all fixed price . I have already cancel the contract. The question is will i be getting my refund. 

So take this for what it's worth, often these things go to dispute first. Which means Upwork tries to mediate. You could offer a partial payment and request a partial refund to easily get some of your funds back. I think many freelancers would agree to that to make a problem job go away and not have to deal with it. Just an idea if you want a swift resolution. 

On the other hand, if you want a full refund it may take longer to fight for it. How much were the jobs for?

yeah so it is not much around 50 dollars.the freelancer is not responsive when i asked if he would the opportunity to make changes to the article. He said yes for more money. It is ridiculous on why freelancer would accept the contract in the first place

As a client, you are definitely not required to waste your time with underperforming freelancers.

The most expedient and cost-effective approach when hiring using low rates is simply to release payment to all the freelancers and throw away the work that you can't use.

Hire ten freelancers to write a piece. The lower the rates the lower the percentage of usable work. This is normal. But you should find a few freelancers from the bunch whose work can be used. Then you continue hiring them and forget about the rest.

I think it is quite fortuitous that you found one excellent writer after hiring only three freelancers for this project. That will not always be the case.

There was nothing to be gained by trying to get the writer whose work was terrible to try to improve. You are a businessperson whose time is valuable. You are not that freelancer's mentor or writing coach. I would have released the $50, left feedback, and been done with it.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths