11 of 16

Hi Garnor

Happy New year!
Any news on this?

Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
12 of 16

Hi Ariadne,

No update on this as of yet. As mentioned previously, this was an intentional change to the way a project cost is displayed to clients as the oDesk fee is paid by freelancers. We are hearing the confusion this can cause in some circumstances and will continue to review this feedback to see if a change is warranted.  

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
13 of 16

That's interesting, Garnor. So the total project cost is neither displayed to the client properly anymore, nor to the freelancer and neither of the two parties is receiving an invoice over oDesk's billed service fee of 10%. Way to do business.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 16
All right, friends. Enough about the box. ODesk knows some people want the box returned. If they want to put the box back, they will.

But the box was removed to make the client experience more streamlined and enjoyable, and more likely to lead to clients hiring contractors on oDesk. I believe that removing the box leads to more hires, more money for oDesk, and more money for me as a contractor.

Yes, if you have been around as a client for a while then you are accustomed to the box then it may be jarring for it to be gone, but if you are new client I think it is more confusing and unnecessary.

Contractors: If you need a little more money for a particular job to be worthwhile for you, then factor that into your bid. Don't burden clients with this and don't try to guilt them because oDesk is taking its cut.

If a contractor can't figure out for himself how much he will make if oDesk gets a 10% cut, then he doesn't belong on the platform.
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
15 of 16

Preston, with all due respect, and I really value your opinions and insights you volunteer to the community and don't mean this personally, but please don't speak for 'us'.

The majority of clients I spoke with, including myself, want the box back. It does NOT streamline the experience nor does it make it easier for my client or me, it's just causing more intransparency. Disguising the fact that oDesk makes 10% on every payment, which the whole purpose behind removing the box seems to be, does not create an environment that I feel comfortable doing business in.

If my clients wants to pay me a $1,000 bonus, it should be easy for him, and he shouldn't accidentally pay $10,000 or vice versa - which happened before, and I didn't enjoy it one bit, and no he's not stupid nor was the experience a great one. Neither he, nor me, should have to do the math. Paying freelancers should be simple and transparent. Period. Making paying freelancers more difficult combined with a continued lack of any transparency gives us a deep insight into just why exactly oDesk is struggling as much as it does.

I respect your view of feeling it's all for the better, even if I disagree with it, but please do not belittle the cutback of useful and proven features (at least for some of us) and speak for those who want it back. Again nothing personal.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 16
Kristina, thank you for your note. Sorry if my post came off sounding that way. Absolutely I was only speaking for myself and did not intend to write in a way that might suggest my opinion was representative of other contractors or clients. I am quite certain that mine is the minority opinion on this topic.

I agree that the current methodology in no way is transparent.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS