🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Money refund from Escrow
Page options
jorikburlakov
Community Member

Money refund from Escrow

Hi everyone! I have a question. Last week I hired a copywriter (freelancer) for an article and set a fixed price of 120.00 USD. After the copywriter had sent me the article I sent it him back for mistakes correction. However, the copywriter had required first payment for the work done, otherwise he would not do anything. For that reason I paid him 60.00 USD as a bonus. Due to the fact that it was a bonus payment, the money was withdrawn not from escrow but from credit card. After the whole work had been done I paid the remaining 60.00 USD as miscellaneous payment. I explained the copywriter that those were the remaining 60.00 USD out of the total 120.00 USD. Today, on August 27, I ended the contract, but the request for payment is still opened. In order to end the contract I had to pay 0.01 USD, because I have already paid 120.00 USD, although from another source. Now the dispute is opened.

I have a question if it is possible to get money back from Escrow. If not, then is it possible to spend money from escrow for another reasons (e.g. other articles ec.)

8 REPLIES 8
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ivan,

I checked your account and can confirm that a dispute is not opened for the contract you`re referring to.

You can request a refund by opening the contract > clicking on the three dots > click the Request a Refund option. 
The freelancer will have 7 days to approve it or reject the refund request. If no actions are taken after 7 days the funds will be returned to you.

I would also like to confirm that you can release partial amounts on fixed-price contracts or create a contract with multiple milestones. 

To learn more about this check out this Help Article, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

You can request a refund by opening the contract > clicking on the three dots > click the Request a Refund option. 
The freelancer will have 7 days to approve it or reject the refund request. If no actions are taken after 7 days the funds will be returned to you.

Goran, I think you are mixing up requesting the return of Escrow funds and requesting a refund.

The OP has already requested the return of the escrow funds. There is no need for him to request a refund on top of that. Those are different functions altogether.

Furthermore, when requesting a refund (rather than the return of any escrow funds) - absolutely nothing happens after 7 days of inactivity, and freelancers can not reject them at all, only accept or ignore them.

Hello again! I have a question concerning money refund from Escrow. Last week I paid my freelancer for the article, but I did it in a different way: bonus and miscellaneous payment (60 USD both - 120 USD in total, which was intended as a fixed price for the article). I actually did not know partial payment on fixed prices or multiple milestones.

https://www.upwork.com/ab/c/5915999/contracts/22682380/#milestones%2F20190805%2F20190903

Now I have a question if it is true that if no actions from freelancer are taken in 7 days, then the funds are returned to me. If yes, then for how long do I have I wait? Because as I see, no actions from freelancer were taken. Moreover, I have already paid him the whole sum, although in a bit different way. Thank you very much!

Ivan L wrote:

Now I have a question if it is true that if no actions from freelancer are taken in 7 days, then the funds are returned to me. If yes, then for how long do I have I wait? Because as I see, no actions from freelancer were taken. Moreover, I have already paid him the whole sum, although in a bit different way. Thank you very much!

If you ended the contract and requested the Escrow funds back, after 7 days the funds are sent back to your payment method, but it can take a couple of days, up to 5 days in rare cases, before they reflect on your account.

Hello! I am writing again concerning my contract # 22682380, which I closed on August 27. I explain the situation again. When the freelancer (**Edited for Community Guidelines**) sent me the article, I then sent it back in order to make some corrections. However, the freelancer demanded the payment. Normally I pay once after the whole work is done. The fixed price by this contract was 120 USD (single milestone). Since the freelancer requested payment, I paid him 60 USD. Due to the fact that I did not know about partial amounts on fixed contracts or multiple milestones, I paid him 60 USD as a bonus, which was not from the Escrow. After the whole work was done I paid the remaining 60 USD as miscallenous payment. In order to close the contract I paid 0.01 USD from Escrow. Although the freelancer received 120 USD from me, he did not receive it from Escrow. That is why 119.99 USD are still in the Escrow and the dispute was opened (personally I did not open it).

I would appreciate it if you could let me know how can I get 119.99 USD back from Escrow. I do not need the refund from freelancer as he did this work at high quality. The thing is that I paid him in a different way, not from the Escrow, that is why I do not know why he opened the dispute. I just need the money back from Escrow, which was not used. Thank you very much!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Ivan,

I checked your dispute and our dispute agent is waiting on your respond back so that they can assist you further. You can access your dispute from the dispute center by clicking on the Question Mark at the top right corner, or directly from your ticket with number 26379223. Feel free to follow up with any questions directly on your dispute and our dispute agent will assist you and your freelancer further.
If further help is needed from me, let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

You wrote me "You can access your dispute from the dispute center by clicking on the Question Mark at the top right corner" - from which page should I do it? As for the ticket, when I opened the link, there was no ID 26379223. When I entered the number in "Search requests", it says "No results for "26379223"". Could you please exactly let me know how I should contact the dispute agent. Thank you very much!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Ivan,

Please switch to your client account first > Click on the Question Mark > click on "Dispute" in the drop down menu. You will be able to access your dispute and reply directly to our dispute agent. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths