🐈
» Forums » Clients » Most *Edited* IT "Freelancers" Really Fronts ...
Page options
9ac8793a
Community Member

Most *Edited* IT "Freelancers" Really Fronts for Agency

Just to share my experience with others in case it's of value.

I have used IT freelancers from Upwork for over a year. My experience of many Upwork IT freelancers **Edited for Community Guidelines**  is that they are either:

• Someone who works for an agency and is just a pretty face, with little IT competence, or
  • Someone who works for an agency who has relevant IT skills, but who unbeknown to you will turn over work you have asked them to do, to far less skilled colleagues, who will do most of the work. Your ability to manage these third parties will be extemely limited there is a high risk of inferior quality or unusable work

In my experience, probably 95% of IT "freelancers" on Upwork are of this type. You will spend plenty of money and waste a lot of your time on them.

To address this problem, I have found it helpful to:

• Ask for their Skype ID. If it's smooth and descriptive, eg like "IT Web Developer" or "WordPress Expert", then they are probably part of a company
  • See how many contracts they are currently working on. If more than 5, that's suspicious
  • Ditto if they have loads of short jobs of perhaps $5 to $25 that give a 100% score
  • Enter into a paid contract with everyone you want to evaluate seriously. That scares away people because then if you give a bad review, it will affect them (if they refund you, your review won't be visible but Upwork says it takes such reviews into consideration when look at success rates)
  • Make it clear you will test them interactively via video and desktop sharing. A large proportion of people will drop out before the first session is arranged, or do a last minute no show
  • During the first session, watch out for people giving them whispered prompts and instant message prompts. When they provide an answer to a question, press them further to see if they understand what they're talking about, or whether they simply repeat what they've just said
  • Make it clear, through a series of intial tasks, that the person concerned will be working tightly with you, and it will be dificult for them to bring in less skilled colleagues to do the work
  • Make it clear that if they later delegate work to others without your permission, you will report them to Upwork and paste a corresponding review. This helps filter out the competent people who want to pass on work to others.

Hope this is helpful to someone! There are great values to be found in **Edited for Community Guidelines** IT freelancers, but one has to proceed with great caution, and be thorough in the evaluation process.

David

4 REPLIES 4
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi David, 

Thanks for sharing your tips for vetting, interviewing and hiring freelancers. They can be useful for clients who hire any freelancers on Upwork or online in general. 

I'd also like to note that some freelancers on Upwork are part of agencies and that will be displayed on their profile. For more information about that, please see this help article. Subcontracting is also allowed on fixed-price contracts. Freelancers and clients can discuss those arrangements before the contract is established. 

That said, if you come across any accounts that display suspicious behavior such as account sharing or misrepresenting information on their profile, please flag their profile or messages so that the team could review. I'd also like to note that we require clients and freelancers to communicate on Upwork before a contract is started. When communications (and work) stay on our platform we can better track, verify, and help address any issues that emerge, and as a result the potential for these behaviors to cause harm decreases dramatically.

~ Valeria
Upwork
66ecf5bc
Community Member

HI David F,

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with some IT Freelancers in India. From India, there are a great many people who are working at the 5-star rating on this platform for a long time. However, you had a bad experience with some. 

You can modify your ways of checking their experience. Make sure to have their samples first and after getting fully satisfied you may think to send the order. 

India has produced very superior quality freelancers so don't decide to quit working with India.

Thanks.

Naheedmir

https://www.coupongot.com/

Upwork has freelancers from nearly 200 countries.

Upwork has freelancers who work in a very wide variety of pay ranges.

If there is a specific country and/or pay range that you have hired freelancers from and the experience has left you disappointed, then stop hiring freelancers from that country and/or pay range.

lysis10
Community Member

whooo boy that edit guidelines lol

OP, you can straight ask them too if they outsource. They might lie to you but I wonder what would happen if you have the question and answer in Upwork chat where you say "no outsourcing" and they outsource. I wonder if that would be an immediate win for you.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths