🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Multiple projects with same freelancer
Page options
jaimehammond
Community Member

Multiple projects with same freelancer

I'm working with a freelancer and I have multiple projects for him to work on simultaniously. I've set up different activities so he can track the time, but the problem is the communication thread. With emails you can communicate in different threads. Here it seems all communication with one freelancer is in one thread and its hard to keep track of the different projects.

I also want to add different people to different communication threads. For example, for one project I need freelancer, me and Rebecca. For another project I need freelancer, me and John. Everyone can't be on the same thread with all projects all at once.

I'd like to open multiple contracts with the same freelancer for each project, but the system won't let me have multiple contracts with the same freelancer. Is there a trick to this?

I also want to assign specific hours per project. For example, I only want him working up to 2 hours a week on one project and 15 on another. I have to keep the billing clean for my accounting and project budgets.

How do you make this work within the confides of the UpWork platform????

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi
Community Member

@Jaime H wrote:

I'm working with a freelancer and I have multiple projects for him to work on simultaniously. I've set up different activities so he can track the time, but the problem is the communication thread. With emails you can communicate in different threads. Here it seems all communication with one freelancer is in one thread and its hard to keep track of the different projects.

I also want to add different people to different communication threads. For example, for one project I need freelancer, me and Rebecca. For another project I need freelancer, me and John. Everyone can't be on the same thread with all projects all at once.

I'd like to open multiple contracts with the same freelancer for each project, but the system won't let me have multiple contracts with the same freelancer. Is there a trick to this?

I also want to assign specific hours per project. For example, I only want him working up to 2 hours a week on one project and 15 on another. I have to keep the billing clean for my accounting and project budgets.

Jaime,

You can set up seperate job posts for each of the projects, and then do an "invite only" to your freelancer. That way each job will have it's own message room. I've worked with several clients from the same company - they each submitted invites to different jobs so we had seperate message rooms (but all jobs were still under that one company).

I think I've got this right, but I'll flag your post and hopefully a forum mod will come along to help you further.

ETA: And it may may sense to close the current job with your freelancer and start fresh, if he/she working on more than one project.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mtngigi
Community Member

@Jaime H wrote:

Jaime,

You can set up seperate job posts for each of the projects, and then do an "invite only" to your freelancer. That way each job will have it's own message room. I've worked with several clients from the same company - they each submitted invites to different jobs so we had seperate message rooms (but all jobs were still under that one company).

I think I've got this right, but I'll flag your post and hopefully a forum mod will come along to help you further.

ETA: And it may may sense to close the current job with your freelancer and start fresh, if he/she working on more than one project.

In addition o what Virginia mentioned, you might also want to find (or delegate to Rebecca) the role of Project Manager.  This would allow you to go about your daily work with less time spent dealing with freelance questions, etc.

thank you. i appreciate the suggestion.

thank you. i figured out how to make this work. your info was valuable and appreciated.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Jaime,

You should be able to offer multiple contracts to the same freelancer. Are you running into any errors when you try to do that by clicking Hire Now button from their profile?

Having separate contracts of using activities on the same hourly contract should allow you to separate different tasks in your Reports. 

As for communication, you should also be able to create different Message Rooms and add different people to it. 

Screenshot from March 21, 2018 4-15 PM.png

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths