2dcd18dd

Multiple "false" profiles, same frelancer?

Hi,

I am new to UpWork. It is my understanding that UpWork doesn't allow a freelancer to have multiple profiles. Is this rule still in place?  Can somebody create a "false" profile using the information from the profile of other successful frelancer? 

I hired a freelancer to make a revision to a previous translation and copywright job. After the freelancer missed the deadline and sent me a horrifying job (really, the revision was, worst than the one I sent her) I did some diggin before paying. I found 4 ferelancer with the same name, the same description, from 3 differeten countries. One of the four profiles have 100% job success, many hours worked and great feedback. The other 3 doesn't have any of this (one of these is the one I hired). 

Could it be a scam? How should I proceed? Am I suppose to report it? How?

Should I release the funds, even though the job is terrible? The document she sent me really is useless!

(Please excuse any errors in my English; it is not my native language.)

Thanks!

Mary Ann 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mary Ann, please , please follow Valeria's request and report the individual.  Nonsense like this reflects terribly on Upwork and those of us who are honest professionals.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mary Ann,

I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with a freelancer. Freelancers are still not allowed to have more than one  profile on Upwork and they also aren't supposed to copy other users' profiles and misrepresent their skills. We at Upwork have been working to introduce new systems to verify freelancers' identity and skills but we also often rely on other users to report violations they see.

You can report the freelancer you hired and provide more details here and I'll also follow up with the team about your report.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Mary Ann, please , please follow Valeria's request and report the individual.  Nonsense like this reflects terribly on Upwork and those of us who are honest professionals.

Thank you; will do.

Do I have to pay the freelancer?

Hi Mary Ann,

When you close the contract, you can request for the money from Escrow to be returned to you or you could pay partial amount and request for the rest to be refunded. If you feel like what the freelancer delivered is not what they agreed to do, you can request a refund from Escrow. The freelancer will have 7 days to dispute that request.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Mary Ann M wrote:

You may refuse and open a dispute. 

Alternatively, if it's petty money, pay it, possibly asking for a discount. And then leave an accurate feedback. The feedback will only show on their profile if money was exchanged.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

@Rene K wrote:

@Mary Ann M wrote:

You may refuse and open a dispute. 

Alternatively, if it's petty money, pay it, possibly asking for a discount. And then leave an accurate feedback. The feedback will only show on their profile if money was exchanged.

The feedback will not show publicly, but private feedback will count against the (possibly fraudulent) freelancer's JSS whether money is exchanged or not.

The thing is, one does have to know who is genuine and who isn't.

versailles

@Mary Ann M wrote:

I found 4 ferelancer with the same name, the same description, from 3 differeten countries. One of the four profiles have 100% job success, many hours worked and great feedback. The other 3 doesn't have any of this (one of these is the one I hired). 

Some idiots just copy profiles from successful freelancers and try to scam clients by doing this. For some reason Upwork doesn't automatically check when someone creates a new profile overview if the text already exists in the database, and they don't check duplicate names either, so scammers exploit this flaw all the time.

When hiring, a client has to perform due diligence. Thank you Upwork by the way, I'm sure clients love wasting their time because of this!

-----------

There's a new freelancer right now whose overview is an exact replica of three others - all identical. No doubt the person who originally wrote this quite good overview has no idea that he/she has probably lost out on a lot of jobs.

@Nichola L wrote:

There's a new freelancer right now whose overview is an exact replica of three others - all identical. No doubt the person who originally wrote this quite good overview has no idea that he/she has probably lost out on a lot of jobs.

I know who you're talking about and his portfolio is ripped from someone else too and he didn't even remove the owner's name. And copy and pasted the owner's description of each portfolio item. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
versailles

Upwork is merciless with those people. They won't hesitate a second: he'll receive an email reminding him that he has to comply with the TOS and asking him to make sure to clean his profile from any violations.

May sound harsh, but they have to be firm.

-----------

CLEAN UP YOUR ACT!!! Please????????????????? hehe.

Couldn't resist in light of Rene's comment.

I've heard that sometimes these plagiarists even get a second reminder to clean up their act- which is really, really harsh. Serves these profile thieves right, they should be shown no mercy.

Today I reported two freelancers who had taken huge chunks of my Upwork profile - one on Upwork and one at another place.

The other place responded immediately to say it would be addressed within 24 hours. Six hours later I received an email to say my complaint had been escalated, the offending text had been removed, and sanctions had been placed against the relevant account. I was thanked and encouraged to contact them again if I noticed a violation by a user. (This is a platform I don't use.)

Upwork responded immediately and insisted I sent screenshots, even though from the message it was clear they had already identified much of the duplicated text. I then received a message saying it would be looked into and admonishing me against opening another ticket, although I'd done no such thing. The profile remains unaltered. I will now have to waste time serving a DMCA takedown. 

To update: I have received just now a message saying that "appropriate" action has been taken. The text remains. I am now waiting for the name of the DMCA agent to serve notice.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kim,

I'm sorry your profile was copied in part by another user and thank you for reporting the user. I can confirm our team took action against the user who copied a few paragraphs from your profile and included them in their own overview. We do ask users to provide screenshots of the violation they are reporting in order to expedite the review process and address user generated reports more efficiently. I'll ask our team to make sure the profile in question is made private and will share your feedback with the team.

Untitled

I have now received a direct response and been informed that the profile has been made private although the text has not been removed as Upwork is waiting for the freelancer's response.

> We do ask users to provide screenshots of the violation they are reporting in order to expedite the review process

Well, it did the precise opposite in this instance. Not only could the staff member see both profiles and where the text was duplicated, they sent me a screenshot marking up a paragraph of the stolen text and then asked me to send a screenshot. So I had to take my own screenshots and send them back so the staff member could say to themself, "Oooh, that's exactly what I saw!" which really should not have been a surprise.

I have now asked for the second time for the name and contact details of the DMCA agent so that I'm prepared should this occur again.

Kim, there seems to be some weird rule in place that the perpetrator has to change the profile themselves. Upwork can't do it for them - and does not seem willing to suspend someone permanently for theft. This is what happened when I had my profile stolen. (about two years ago). The perp did change a few things and left a few others and then copied a bit from another freelancer.

Eventually - after stamping my feet and throwing hissy fits on the Elance forum, something was done and the perp's profile (I think) was, eventually suspended.

Nichola, our horror stories are identical.

Conversely, LinkedIn removed both the stolen content and the thief within 24 hours.

Yep, that's what they do. They allow the freelancer time to rewrite it so they can develop their skills in plagiarism, and if they don't do that well enough they *might* be suspended. 

However, it's Upwork's site. It's copyright infringement, it's illegal and it's their responsibility. 

@Kim F wrote:

they sent me a screenshot marking up a paragraph of the stolen text and then asked me to send a screenshot. So I had to take my own screenshots and send them back so the staff member could say to themself, "Oooh, that's exactly what I saw!" which really should not have been a surprise.

Lol 🙂

-----------