cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My contractor has too many jobs

Highlighted
Mark R Member Since: Jan 23, 2011
1 of 39
I hired a contractor who has not been working the time I had contracted him for. He was scheduled 30 hours per week, but I'm getting 10-15 per week. Plus, he does most of the hours at the end of the week instead of spreading it out over the week. I get proofs on Saturday and need to wait a week to get changes. I happened to get a screen shot in the work diary of all his jobs. Basically, he has to work at least 120 hours per week just to satisfy his clients' work requirements. Additional clients had no limits. My question is can a contractor take on that much work without odesk red flagging? And, can I see a work schedule before hiring a contractor? Also, many of the candidates rattle off websites that they supposedly worked on and sometimes show artwork identical to other contractors. Is there a service to verify some of this? My last hiring was a joke trying to sift thru the fake resumes to find real candidates.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
2 of 39
I can't speak for your freelancer but not all open jobs are full time jobs. I have jobs that I work on intermittently, as the client needs and jobs that are done, but the client hasn't closed the contract, and I'd prefer not to nag them about it. I've had jobs that were advertised as full time in the posting, but weren't. If there was a limit on the number of jobs I could have, I might only have a few hours work a week, if any. Your freelancer should be meeting your deadline, however. Is he trying to work so many hours because he gets paid such low hourly rates he has to do so to make ends meet?
Highlighted
Kirsten H Member Since: Apr 1, 2012
3 of 39
As has been mentioned, some contracts are intermittent so you can't judge whether your contractor is overloaded with work by his maximum hours per contract. Some contracts have maximum weekly hours that are far above the hours needed--many of mine have ten hours max but only require two hours weekly. Have you asked the freelancer to spread the work evenly through the week? The situation seems to be a result of a lack of communication. It would probably be best to set up a weekly schedule so that he has a better idea of what's expected. If you want to check for portfolio plagiarism, run the images through Google's image search. It'll turn up the same images and take you to the sites that have published them, usually with the name of the designer. Figuring out who the work actually belongs to is usually easy enough with a little common sense. If in doubt, ask the freelancer to give you some examples that aren't in their portfolio and search those. Inconsistencies will indicate plagiarism.
Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
4 of 39
http://www.tineye.com/ to check your images
Highlighted
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
5 of 39
The amount of open jobs on a persons profile does not indicate the amount of work they my have to do every week. Lots of people have many clients, who give them small amounts of work, without a regular schedule. Personally, I have had as much as 35 contracts open at once, but that doesnt mean that I was working on 35 things at once. There is no reason for oDesk to flag anyone that has a large amount of clients, in fact, they would most likely use that person as an advertisment! Communication is the key. From what I hear, he is not overcharging you, and only billing you for time he spends actually on your project. If you would like daily submissions, or more work at the end of the week, you need to inform him of that fact. Also, if the turnaround time for edits on the images are to long for your taste, bring it up with your contractor. It seems that you are not unhappy with his work, but rather are happy with his work, and want him to spend more time working for you, again, somethng that can be fixed by talking to your contractor. Keep in mind also, that though your project is tracked, some of his contracts may be for manual time, there are changes in the way time is tracked, so there are no overlaps allowed. It could be one reason that he has your work during a certain time of the week. It might also be that he wants to give his full attention to your project, and the end of the week is the best time for him to do that. HRH
Highlighted
6 of 39
Thank you all for your input. I did specify that I wanted the hours spread through the week. I told him that I needed to start him at 30 hours per week and increase him soon to 40 hours per week. I explained to him that it would be a job for at least a year. He agreed to all that. He now tells me that damage to his town means power outages and dropped internet. He works sporadically, but if I complain he responds immediately. I pay him pretty well. And I offered him healthcare in his country after 2-3 months. I used him before on another project and gave him 8 months of work. I hired a second person to do a different part of the project and he has power outages too. The first week was pretty good and this week is 0 hours so far. I will try one more time and then give up and hire 1-2 people here. It's not the money that's the issue. It's that I like people to work when I sleep. I wake up to proofs. But I can't get proofs once per week. Also, thanks for the tips on finding plagiarism. And, about multiple open jobs. I will give both a chance.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
7 of 39
I just wanted to give my input here. I don't know if your contractor would fall into this or not, but I felt it wouldn't hurt to bring it up. I've worked for clients who have hired for 30 hours to 50 hours a week before as well. However, I've spread the work out through the week. I never stretch my time to the full extent of hours though because I don't want my client/clients to feel that I'm taking advantage of the allotted hours. I don't know if your contractor/contractor's are doing the same thing--or are they having too much work ongoing? It could be either; or it could really be an inclement weather issue. This is especially true in specific areas of the Philippines. Hope everything is working out for you now though.
Highlighted
8 of 39
Misty, thank you also for your input. It does have to do with the Philippines. I try to be understanding, but I'm losing about $1000's every month in server fees, licensing fees, etc waiting for this site to launch. I hired a second person to help out with another part of the project and I get about 1-2 hours a day if I complain. I wanted 30 hours per week, but it doesn't look like I will get it. I do have 2 people who put in 40 hours per week each on SEO and they always hit 40 hours per week. I just have this massive website and I don't have a reliable person to get it done. I'm interviewing a few more people till I find the right one. If anyone has any suggestions to get some dedicated long term employees here, please let me know? I usually pay them what they want or even a little more. Offer them healthcare after a period of time.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aleah T Member Since: Mar 25, 2010
9 of 39
Freelancers, in general, don't want to put all their eggs in one basket, so even though they may agree to 30 hours per week for you, they may still look for other jobs. That said, most reliable ones do try their best to fulfill their commitments. If your freelancers lived in areas hard hit by the recent typhoon, though, it could really be because their connection isn't good enough to work anymore. It could be okay to check emails, but not to work on oDesk. Still, they were lucky to have survived. Thousands had died there. Anyway, good luck in your search!
Highlighted
Marvel J Member Since: Jun 30, 2011
10 of 39
Yeah me too. But in most cases, I ask my client/clients if I am reqired to use up all the hours allocated.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS