cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My contractor has too many jobs

Highlighted
Manjit K Member Since: Jan 23, 2014
21 of 39
I Think you have to recheck your profile, Take a odesk test as more as you can, and complete your profile according odesk notification. That will help you lot.
Highlighted
matthew i Member Since: Dec 11, 2010
22 of 39
Mark - You MUST enforce your own guidelines set fourth prior to hiring them. Don't let contractors do as they please. If they agree to work x amount of hours, on x amount of days, you must hold them to that. The issue is, contractors will try and stack jobs to make as much money as they can while not caring much about deadlines. Don't let them do this and make it clear to them that they agreed to "X" and this needs to be followed. If they still disobey, than you fire them and rate accordingly. Their are plenty of good contractors out there. It takes time to get an honest one. When you begin to feel like your stuck with this person, or you're afraid to make changes for whatever reason - you're in trouble and it's best to take action and find a new contractor. There's way to many instances of contractors getting rated a 5 when we all know damn well they shouldn't have received it. This sort of stuff hurts the client community as than we think we're getting a nice shiny apple and instead, received a banana - literally. We all need to rate appropriately. If a contractor threatens you or says if you don't rate me a 5 I'll rate you a 1, screenshot and report to Odesk and rate them truthfully.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
23 of 39
"If a contractor threatens you or says if you don't rate me a 5 I'll rate you a 1" Ummmm.... you've apparently been around long enough to know that the feedback is double-blind, so that can't happen
Highlighted
24 of 39
Maybe you misunderstood what we wrote. If in private chat the contractor says "Let's make an agreement, we'll both rate each other a five" if you don't agree, we'll rate you a 1 and our reply is F O you'll be rated accordingly, captain obvious says they know what they are getting rated. Yes, this does happen more so than you think and every time it does it gets screenshot/recorded and sent to Odesk. We don't play game with employees here, this website is for employment - not a hobby. If a contractor makes an agreement and fails to follow it - we take immediate action. I think contractors don't understand that failing to meet deadlines can result in losses of thousands of dollars for a client.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
25 of 39
When the other contractor made mention of the double blind feedback, he was speaking on the fact that even though it might be wrong to pose a threat such as that to a client, it really can't happen. Neither the client nor the contractor knows what feedback is left for the other until they both leave it. Now, if the contractor doesn't do so in 14 days then the clients feedback for them will show up on the 15th day. However, the contractor will have no idea what it is, and vice versa. So, regardless if there is a threat made or not, a contractor can not really force a client to leave 5 star feedback, nor can a client. One or the other has no promise as to what will be left at the end. Get it now??
Highlighted
26 of 39
Just because nobody can see the feedback until both have left it DOESN'T mean feedback blackmail doesn't occur. Of course nobody can force you to do anything, but if a contractor states if you're not going to agree to rate me a 5, I'll just rate you a 1, that's called "Feedback Blackmail" We have screenshots & Odesk agrees! It's very similar to the contractors that want you to keep opening new jobs (even though its the same job) to pile on multiple good feedback ratings for just 1 project. Yes that happens too and we report it Smiley Happy It has no place on this site, and this sort of shady stuff needs to end.
Highlighted
Community Leader
André U Member Since: Dec 5, 2013
27 of 39
Concerning feedback: The lower the project's value the less is the feedback counted. For instance, you can have 100 completed projects with a 5* rating and each had a value of 10$. Then you got just one negative feedback for a project worth 1.500$ and the overall feedback will drop sharply. It's not the quantity that matters. So actually, "forcing multiple small jobs" does not make sense. In fact it makes more sense to keep a job "big", so that the feedback has more impact.
Highlighted
28 of 39
3000 dollars jobs x 5. So instead of 1 job @15k it's 5 @ 3k. I'm not talking about 50 dollar projects chief.
Highlighted
Community Leader
André U Member Since: Dec 5, 2013
29 of 39
Sorry that I have bothered you with my wisdom.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
30 of 39
Matthew, you are very quiet about what you massive business is, but unless it's in covert surveillance technology it must be on a bit of a lull recently if you can find so much time to log and collate and reference the many thousands of screenshots you must be taking, and the deep in-depth analysis you're doing on hundreds or thousands of users and their job histories... and all seemingly so you can persuade people to charge less for their work so you can pay people less. Maybe make more by using your work time more efficiently by spending time doing it instead of spouting off on here. Really, people can live without you and your self-trumpeted wisdom, and your rant is kind of running out of steam anyway
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS