🐈
» Forums » Clients » My freelance sent me the first concept and it...
Page options
60d39068
Community Member

My freelance sent me the first concept and its far away from what i want

My freelance have sent me the first concept and is really far from what i want to. I already shown similar logos of what i wanted but she made me something different and far from what i wish.

I dont want to make her lost her time because it is not the infographic style that im searching for.

could i cancel my contract with her? i made it 3 days ago, i prefer to avoid it because it is gonna be a lost of time for both of us.

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Yes, you can and should cancel the contract.

You should not continue to work with a freelancer whose style or work product you do not highly value.

The proper way to cancel the contract is to release click on the three dots icon next to the contract title. You should see a drop down menu that allows you to "cancel" or "close" or "end" the contract.

Choose that. Then you will be able to release any remaining escrow money to the freelancer, and close the contract completely.

Note that you are NOT required to continue working with the freelancer even if you had further milestones planned. Furthermore, you are NOT required to use any of the work that the freelancer has provided to you, even though technically you own all work that you have paid for.

hello, thanks for your answer,

the thing is, the time since we did the contract have been 2 days, but what she sent me was an horror (With all due respect) My project was splitted in 3 different goals, the one which we started was the logo work. I escrowed 150$ for that work. 

Would i lose that money if i "End the contract" is there any ways i dont lose my money, just 2 days passed and she only sent me one concept and it takes far from what im looking for.

best regards,

Alberto, you are not "losing money."

If you put $150 into escrow for this freelancer to do some work, and then she did that work, then you now own the work that she did. If it clearly doesn't meet your needs, you should not use it. You should not continue working with the freelancer. But you now know this. You know you need to hire someone else. That is valuable information.

It IS possible for you to pay less than $150.

It is possible to pay ANY amount less than the full amount is escrow, as long as the freelancer agrees to do so.

I think it is a bad business decision for you to spend further time with this freelancer. The fastest, most expedient way to end things is to release the full amount in escrow and stop communicating with the freelancer completely. But if you want to, you may communicate with the freelancer and tell her something like this:

"Francine, thank you for your work on the project. After looking over your initial designs with my team, we have decided to go a different direction. We are not going to be able to use your work. We would like to release some money to you immediately, and you won't need to do any further work on the project. We would let you use the work in your portfolio if you want to. If we released $75 to you now, and request a $75 refund, would you agree to that?"

Preston H wrote:

Yes, you can and should cancel the contract.

"Cancel" means closing the contract without paying.

The freelancer has done work and should be paid.

Preston H wrote:

Furthermore, you are NOT required to use any of the work that the freelancer has provided to you, 

Obviously... How does that even ever need stating, let alone in capital letters?

Alberto,

Talk to the freelancer and explain that this is not going in the direction you had hoped, that your styles don't align and that you would like to end the contract. If the funds in Escrow are not excessive, consider releasing them in full, as the initial design work is a big part of the overall process. Otherwise ask the freelancer what percentage of the funds she would consider fair compensation for the work done so far. See what she says and then decide if that works for you.

re: "'Cancel' means closing the contract without paying."

The way I meant it in my post was "close the contract while releasing any remaining escrow funds to the freelancer."

A synonym for "close" or "end."

But if that is potentially confusing, I will try to use another word.

Preston H wrote:

But if that is potentially confusing, I will try to use another word.

It's not "potentially confusing" - that is what it means both on Upwork and in real life. "cancel a contract" is not a synonym for "close with full payment" and I am pretty certain that you are well aware of that.

I am equally certain that you know perfectly well what the OP actually meant.

Upwork uses a true escrow system. That means that money funded as an escrow payment is officially set aside for the freelancer.

There is no way for a client to simply click a button and get that money back because she doesn't feel like paying the freelancer.

So in that sense, there is no option to unilaterally "cancel" a fixed-price contract.

The original poster initially expressed concern about "time" wasted. The fastest way to get out of any fixed-price contract is always to release funds and close the contract.

The original poster subsequently asked about getting money back. The most certain way to get money back is ask the freelancer to refund money. It doesn't cost anything (except time) to do so.

Any client should understand that it is not Upwork's intention that they get money back when they fund an escrow payment. It is not like buying some plywood and then returning it to the hardware store unused. When a client hires a freelancer to do work, and that freelancer does the work, that means that the freelancer spent time on the project. Time that can't be retrieved with a reset button.

If any client does not want money tied up in escrow funds, then the client has the option to use an hourly contract, and closely monitor the work done by the freelancer. A client may end an hourly contract at virtually any time and need pay no more than the time logged by the freelancer.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths