cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My freelancer produced an awful standard of work.

64116b8f
Stephen L Member Since: May 17, 2018
1 of 22

Hi everyone,

So I recently hired a freelancer to write me a cookbook.

After 5 days, the book was produced. I ran a plaigirism check on the book and there was a section which was plaigirised (he has changed that now ). Not only that, the whole book doesnt really make sense and its written to a very poor standard.

The rate advertised for this book was $100 but I really do not want to pay this for the standard the freelancer has produced. 

Is there anything I can do as the money is in escrow right now.

Steve.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 22

You are allowed to release the full payment, close the contract, and never work with the freelancer again. You are not required to use his work at all. I would advise you to just dump it all.

You may also change the amount of money you release to any amount. You may pay more. You may pay less. You may pay zero. If you pay less or zero, then you will automatically receive a refund.

But paying less than the full amount in escrow requires the freelancer to agree to your refund request.

If the freelancer does not agree, then a dispute will be initiated, which means you will not automatically receive a refund. You may end up receiving nothing.

So my advice to you is to politely explain to the freelancer that you can't use the work he submitted, and ask him ahead of time if he will allow you to request a full refund.

If he says no, then offer him half.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
3 of 22

You paid $100 for a cookbook. Written in English? How many pages? Original recipes? Commentary included? Any photographs and/or graphics? The project required five days' time. ($20 per day rate of pay.)

The result was junk. Plagiarism and junk.

Okay. Good to know.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
4 of 22

@Janean L wrote:

You paid $100 for a cookbook. Written in English? How many pages? Original recipes? Commentary included? Any photographs and/or graphics? The project required five days' time. ($20 per day rate of pay.)

The result was junk. Plagiarism and junk.

Okay. Good to know.

I once stumbled over the profile of a freelancer that finished up to 10 cookbooks weekly...

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
5 of 22

@Stephen L wrote:

The rate advertised for this book was $100 but I really do not want to pay this for the standard the freelancer has produced. 

Steve.

I mean no disrespect, but unless it was a leaflet, I think you got the quality you were looking for. Nobody will write you a book for $100.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
6 of 22

@Rene K wrote:

@Stephen L wrote:

Steve.

I mean no disrespect, but unless it was a leaflet, I think you got the quality you were looking for. Nobody will write you a book for $100.

Well, this one tried...

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
7 of 22

I would just have rejected the work due to the plaigirism, ended the contract and reported the freelancer. He accepted the job and should have done it properly.

Yes, the rate is very low but it is up to each and everyone to accept or not.

silw
Community Guru
Aron H Member Since: Mar 29, 2017
8 of 22

another chapter in the cook-book of "nothing is more expensive than low budget freelancers." 

with all the respect towards the thread-opener. If writing a cookbook isn't worth more than 100$ to you then it can't be that important that he **bleep**ed up.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 22

@Stephen L wrote:

The rate advertised for this book was $100

You got what you paid for. Well, you will have what you paid for and pay for it you should.

If you had paid $ 1000 the advice would be different.

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
10 of 22

@Petra R wrote:

@Stephen L wrote:

The rate advertised for this book was $100

You got what you paid for. Well, you will have what you paid for and pay for it you should.

If you had paid $ 1000 the advice would be different.

Apologies for my shameless plagiarism

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS