cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My freelancer produced an awful standard of work.

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
11 of 22

Th

@Prashant P wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

@Stephen L wrote:

So I recently hired a freelancer to write me a cookbook.
The rate advertised for this book was $100

You got what you paid for. Well, you will have what you paid for and pay for it you should.

If you had paid $ 1000 the advice would be different.

Apologies for my shameless plagiarism

There is a difference between citing and plagiarism.

jr-translation
Community Guru
12 of 22

I think we are having two different issues here. No doubt the offered rate for the job was too low for any of us to even consider taking the job. The low rates are a problem all over the place and are being discussed all the time. When the payment it very low the client

a) gets a lousy result (which is not so unexpected for most of us)

or

b) gets quality (as he expected)

Everybody discussing int the thread provides quality work at a higher rate which is why we all have a reputation as experts. Unfortunatelly many freelancer claim to be experts but are not.

I think an issue being ignored in the thread is the plagiarism. If more clients would take the time to check the quality of the work received instead of just paying and leaving 5*, the JSS of more than one freelancer would look different.

I honestly believe that any freelancer who copies somebody elses work or delivers a google translation should be reported, investigated and removed from the Upwork.

64116b8f
Stephen L Member Since: May 17, 2018
13 of 22

Chill out Jennifer, if you don't agree, you don't have to comment lol. Not my fault he accepted it..

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
14 of 22

@Stephen L wrote:

Not my fault he accepted it..

That is another way to look at it.  Some may look it as exploitation of needy people - or modern day slavery.  Right now, you can and many buyers, have done this trick.  Hire people, complain quality, don't pay, turn around and hire some one at much lower rate to edit.  And walla you have a book for a fraction of the cost.

And that guy did fix the offending section.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
15 of 22

@Stephen L wrote:

Chill out Jennifer, if you don't agree, you don't have to comment lol. Not my fault he accepted it..

The thing with forums, and with conversations in general, is that not only those who agree with you will say something.

And you're 100% right, it's not your fault if he accepted the contract. And it's nobody's fault if you decided to hire cheap. You ordered a $100 writer, you got a $100 writer.

Isn't the free market a beautiful concept?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
16 of 22

@Rene K wrote:

@Stephen L wrote:

The thing with forums, and with conversations in general, is that not only those who agree with you will say something.

And you're 100% right, it's not your fault if he accepted the contract. And it's nobody's fault if you decided to hire cheap. You ordered a $100 writer, you got a $100 writer.

Isn't the free market a beautiful concept?

It certainly is, because among many other things, the freemarket model allows you to always blame the other guy...  

jr-translation
Community Guru
17 of 22

@Stephen L wrote:

I was actually supporting your side regarding the quality provided.That is why I wrote earlier:

"I would just have rejected the work due to the plaigirism, ended the contract and reported the freelancer. He accepted the job and should have done it properly."

If you are happy to be told by everyone that you paid too little and deserved what you got, I will shut up. Who cares if people copy other peoples work trying to make some quick money.  

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
18 of 22

Stephen, you got exactly what you paid for.  Garbage.

That said, Jennifer is correct.  Plagiarism is not acceptable but when a buyer is paying peanuts, it is what they get.  With luck, you have learned a lesson. 

Going forward, use this as a guideline for professional rates.   https://www.the-efa.org/rates/

bobafett999
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
19 of 22

Wendy: No matter how many times you post that link, but it will fly over most buyer's head.  Most of them are fishing for bottom of the barrel talent and expect them to pruduce Pulitzer prize winning piece.  And when they don't get that they come here asking for ways on how not to pay that poor slob from the slums of Mumbai or Dhaka.

Yesterday, I applied for a job for fun (this month I seem to have lots of connect left over to burn).  The buyer wanted 'Expert' at the lowest price.  I wrote in short three line propsal that "your desire to find an Expert at Entry Level price is an oxymoron".

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
20 of 22

Prashant,  I actually post the link so darned often in the hopes that a few FLers open it and their eyes to what they should be charging.  Consider it my PSA for the month.  😉

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS