🐈
» Forums » Clients » My offer of $1000 not enough?
Page options
b1fe7a3c
Community Member

My offer of $1000 not enough?

Years ago I used rent a coder, and posted a small job. The next day I had over 25 people wanting to do the work. Now, I am new to up work, and I post a job for $1000. Three days later, and I have, the same 15 people who initially expressed an interest in my job. Am I doing something wrong, or am I just leaving something out? 

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Are you posting these as fixed-price jobs?

Change your strategy. Post as hourly.

And be very specific about what you want the freelancer to do.

And keep the job post SHORT.

As a freelancer, I don't have any interest in reading a novel.

But I'll read a descriptive paragraph.

If that's something I have done many times in the past and I know how to do a great job for, I'll apply to your job.

Then, once I finish that task, you can ask me to do the next step. And then the next.

the3dguru
Community Member

It all depends on whether $1k covers the cost of the job. It's an odd thing to specify the cost of something before anything else. It's like saying your want to spend a specific amount on clothes, as if your socks and your suits should cost the same.

I want a Tesla, and I want it to cost $100, why is nobody selling it to me?

Community Member

There are many jobs posted. I think it is likely that your job has been buried, which is why you are not getting any new proposals.

rashid_mr
Community Member

It's possible that your job description is not clear enough or that you're not targeting the right group of freelancers. Here are a few tips to help you attract more quality freelancers:

1. Make sure your job description is clear, concise, and detailed. Explain exactly what you need and what you expect from the freelancer.

2. Use relevant and specific keywords in your job description and title to attract the right freelancers.

3. Be willing to negotiate on price, especially if you're new to Upwork and haven't established a track record yet.

4. Reach out to freelancers directly who have relevant skills and experience and invite them to apply for your job.

5. Consider adding a screening question or test to your job posting to weed out unqualified freelancers.

6. Make sure your budget is reasonable for the work you're requesting. If your budget is too low, you may not attract quality freelancers.

7. Lastly, be patient. It may take some time to find the right freelancer for your project, but with the right approach, you should be able to find the right match

iwan-spillebeen
Community Member

Impossible to tell without knowing the job whether 1,000 USD is enough.  If you were my client asking me to write a business plan for your company then no, 1,000 USD isn't nearly enough.  It very much depends on the level of expertise you are looking for and the amount of hours the total work will be.

I rarely bid on milestone based projects because when I do I need to factor in that a client is going to have additional needs that I need to cater to so I agree with Preston that for longer running projects, hourly is better.  You can still agree on the overal amount of work you plan on and you can still agree on seeing regular process, if that isn't provided then you cancel the engagement.

asajid
Community Member

Hi Charles,

That's strange as whenever I apply to a job post I usually find 20-50 proposals on it within a few short hours. You should try reposting your job to see if that helps... Maybe it got burried or maybe you didn't use relevant keywords according to the type of work you need done (think relevant software or skills)

Hope this helps. 
Ayesha.

Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
9861cc25
Community Member

I need the work.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths