Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: is the issue of proposals getting archived sorted?

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
81 of 322

Here is the pertinent language in the TOS:

2.1 RELATIONSHIP WITH UPWORK
Upwork merely makes the Site and Site Services available to enable Freelancers and Clients to find and transact directly with each other. Upwork does not introduce Freelancers to Clients, find Projects for Freelancers, or find Freelancers for Clients. Through the Site and Site Services, Freelancers may be notified of Clients that may be seeking the services they offer, and Clients may be notified of Freelancers that may offer the services they seek; at all times, however, Users are responsible for evaluating and determining the suitability of any Project, Client or Freelancer on their own. If Users decide to enter into a Service Contract, the Service Contract is directly between the Users and Upwork is not a party to that Service Contract.
You acknowledge, agree, and understand that Upwork is not a party to the relationship or any dealings between Client and Freelancer.
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
82 of 322

So in other words Upwork is violating their own Terms of Service .... among all the other nefarious things revealed in this thread thanks to upset clients.  

 

Yes, we all know U can change their ToS at will ... but NOT after the fact.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
83 of 322

So really, the only reasonable response is for everyone to 100% stop wasting time submitting bids unless and until it can be demonstrated that clients are seeing every bid submittted.

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
84 of 322

Here another one who is discouraged and upset about these terrible news... Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse. So this is the holiday season present. Isn't it?

 

First it was the US/UK filter, now this... The worst part is that Lena said there wasn't any change. That means this has been happening for some time already and we found out by chance? That explains why it's so hard to find a job here even being an All-star game player.

 

Notice that one of the clients who posted here said the "talent specialist" was trashing valuable freelancers and leaving in bad ones! What kind of "help" is that? Upwork, you have been upsetting freelancers for quite a bit of time already, but now you are upsetting clients as well! If you continue with that policy, even violating your own ToS, I see a dark future for your company. Maybe that is what you want, maybe you are just tired of being a freelancers platform?

 

This has gone beyond the pale.

Community Leader
Zoha U Member Since: Feb 8, 2017
85 of 322

That explains why it's so hard to find a job here even being an All-star game player.

 

I'm seriously disappointed, my heart is almost sinking. And I agree with Lena, there is no change, they've been doing this for months. I could feel the change in Upwork. 

A lot of deserving candidates are just not even getting the chance while so many clients must have been compromising with the service received. 

 

We get ONLY 60 connects in a month which equals to 30 chances, we spend each of our connect carefully and only on jobs which we think we will do best at! Why should there be some "ELSE" making a guess at our inability to perform on a job? 

 

Upwork, I am seriously disappointed! 

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
86 of 322

@Mary W wrote:

Here is the pertinent language in the TOS:

2.1 RELATIONSHIP WITH UPWORK
Upwork merely makes the Site and Site Services available to enable Freelancers and Clients to find and transact directly with each other. Upwork does not introduce Freelancers to Clients, find Projects for Freelancers, or find Freelancers for Clients. Through the Site and Site Services, Freelancers may be notified of Clients that may be seeking the services they offer, and Clients may be notified of Freelancers that may offer the services they seek; at all times, however, Users are responsible for evaluating and determining the suitability of any Project, Client or Freelancer on their own. If Users decide to enter into a Service Contract, the Service Contract is directly between the Users and Upwork is not a party to that Service Contract.
You acknowledge, agree, and understand that Upwork is not a party to the relationship or any dealings between Client and Freelancer.
 
Yeah, that's what I always thought ... guess I was mistaken. Waiting with bated breath for a response from Upwork. Who knew there was so much subterfuge and sneakyness going on?

Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
87 of 322

@Virginia F wrote:

@Mary W wrote:

Here is the pertinent language in the TOS:

2.1 RELATIONSHIP WITH UPWORK
Upwork merely makes the Site and Site Services available to enable Freelancers and Clients to find and transact directly with each other. Upwork does not introduce Freelancers to Clients, find Projects for Freelancers, or find Freelancers for Clients. Through the Site and Site Services, Freelancers may be notified of Clients that may be seeking the services they offer, and Clients may be notified of Freelancers that may offer the services they seek; at all times, however, Users are responsible for evaluating and determining the suitability of any Project, Client or Freelancer on their own. If Users decide to enter into a Service Contract, the Service Contract is directly between the Users and Upwork is not a party to that Service Contract.
You acknowledge, agree, and understand that Upwork is not a party to the relationship or any dealings between Client and Freelancer.
 
Yeah, that's what I always thought ... guess I was mistaken. Waiting with bated breath for a response from Upwork. Who knew there was so much subterfuge and sneakyness going on?


 I think it was Pat who once said that one should never attibute malice to anything that can be explained by simple incompetence. This is such a case. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
88 of 322

@Reinier B wrote:



 I think it was Pat who once said that one should never attibute malice to anything that can be explained by simple incompetence. This is such a case. 


Whenever Upwork's updates, features, bugs or practices like these come to light, I always wonder if they're the result of plain and simple stupidity or the scheme of someone who's set out to destroy the livelihoods of freelancers. I really can't tell anymore.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
89 of 322

'Tis called "The God Complex"

Community Guru
Melissa C Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
90 of 322
God Complex, indeed.

It's also really, really gross.

For real, Upwork?

Luckily, this year I've had a major uptick in interested clients who haven't found me here, so I don't send proposals often. But when I do find a job I like, I apply for it.

As another commenter mentioned, there has absolutely been a shift in the Upwork atmosphere within the past few months. I used to make a third of my freelancing income here. But for maybe five months, only about 15% of my income has been through this platform.

I still need Upwork, unfortunately, but it's this exact sort of thing that has me excited about the prospect of only picking up the occasional job here.

Your clients aren't happy and your freelancers aren't happy.

So… perhaps Upwork could--I don't know--STOP IT?

I think most clients would prefer to decide for themselves which freelancer is best suited for their job.

I know that I would prefer the client choose their own freelancers, using their free will, rather than some nebulous "talent specialist" that may not even be an actual human!

I certainly hope this gets sorted out asap because until it is, I'm not applying to any more jobs.

I don't post here often anymore but this is just so underhanded, especially when you're judging whether certain freelancers will get kicked off the platform for sending too many proposals all the while some algorithm or underpaid freelancer is trashing half or more of those proposals.

Just gross, Upwork.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS